Michael Sull (born 1949) is an IAMPETH master penman and author living in Mission, Kansas, United States. An expert on penmanship, he was Ronald Reagan's calligrapher after his Presidency and is known worldwide for his skill and teaching ability. He regularly teaches handwriting, calligraphy, and engrossing programs throughout the United States, Europe and Asia.
Considered America’s foremost living Spencerian penman, he is author of Spencerian Script and Ornamental Penmanship, Learning to Write Spencerian Script, and American Cursive Handwriting, and publishes various other educational materials focusing on pen writing. He also manufactures period style oblique dip pen equipment for use by penmen today.
In Geneva, Ohio (Platt R. Spencer's home town) Sull used to run annual week-long seminars dedicated to Spencerian script known as the Spencerian Saga since 1987; but no longer does, wholly devoted to Spencerian Script and Ornamental Penmanship.
Sull’s career, however, didn’t begin in the penmanship industry. After graduating from Syracuse University with a degree in forestry, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy. It wasn’t until his discharge from the Service that he began to pursue his interest in calligraphy. Sull’s penmanship has lent itself to a lengthy career in the field, enabling him to found a calligraphy guild, work as a calligrapher and lettering artist at Hallmark, and start his own ornamental penmanship company.
Today, Sull serves as Master Penman for Zaner-Bloser, performing public demonstrations. He is also the current Academic Director of Ink.Academy and is starting his own Master Penman program separate of IAMPETH. He currently resides with his wife, Debra, in Gardner, Kansas.
- IAMPETH. “Master Penman” Master Penman Certificate. IAMPETH, 2001. Non-Profit Organization. International Association of Master Penman, Engrossers, and Teachers of Handwriting. 11 Jul 2001.
- Robinson, Martha. “Homeschool Christian.” Developing Spencerian Penmanship at Home. HomeschoolChristian.com, LLC, 2001. Magazine. Homeschool Christian. 10 Oct 2001.
- "Ronald Reagan’s calligrapher on pen-ache for penmanship". NBC News. 13 March 2014. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- Hurford, R. (2006) "The books that saved an American heritage", IAMPETH Penman's Journal, Fall 2006, p. 6.
- Sull, M.R. (1989) Spencerian script and ornamental penmanship (2 vv.). LDG Publishing, Mission, KS.
- Sull, M.R. (1991) Learning to write Spencerian script (VHS videotape, DVD 2007). Lettering Design Group, Mission, KS.
- Sull, M.R., Rapp, D.E. (1993) Learning to write Spencerian script. LDG Publishing, Mission, KS.
- Sull, M.R. (1997) Off-hand flourishing techniques for ornamental penmanship (VHS videotape, DVD 2007). Lettering Design Group, Mission, KS.
- Sull, M.R. (2006) "Michael Sull's Spencerian Saga marks twenty years", IAMPETH Penman's Journal, Fall 2006, p. 3.
- Tanaka, Y. (2009) "Mike Sull brings Spencerian and offhand flourishing to Japan", IAMPETH Penman's Journal, Fall 2008/Winter 2009, p. 18.