|Bishop of Colchester|
|Diocese||Diocese of Chelmsford|
|Other posts||Honorary assistant bishop in Blackburn (1994–present)|
Archdeacon of the East Riding (1981–1988)
|Ordination||1959 (deacon); 1960 (priest)|
|Born||13 January 1929|
|Parents||William & Florence|
|Spouse||Janet Croasdale (m. 1960)|
|Alma mater||Worcester College, Oxford|
He was educated at St. Lawrence College, Ramsgate and Worcester College, Oxford before embarking on an ecclesiastical career with a curacy at Christ Church, Bexleyheath after which he was Senior Chaplain at Lee Abbey. Following this he was Vicar of St John’s Newland, Hull. Later he became Rural Dean of Hull and then (his final appointment before appointment to the episcopate) Archdeacon of the East Riding. In retirement he continues to serve the Diocese of Blackburn as an Assistant Bishop.
He was made a deacon at Michaelmas 1959 (27 September) and ordained a priest the following Trinity Sunday (12 June 1960), both times by Christopher Chavasse, Bishop of Rochester, at Rochester Cathedral. He was consecrated a bishop on 2 February 1988 by Robert Runcie, Archbishop of Canterbury, at Westminster Abbey.
He owns a photograph of his great-great-great-grandmother who is earliest-born authenticated person to appear in a photograph. Mary Buckingham (born in 1750) died, aged 101, in 1851. The photograph was taken c.1850.
- Who's Who 1992 “(London, A & C Black ISBN 0-7136-3514-2)
- Curate's Licence within The national Archives
- “Crockford's clerical directory, 1995” (Lambeth, Church House ISBN 0-7151-8088-6)
- Church web-site
- ”Debrett's People of Today 1992” (London, Debrett's) ISBN 1-870520-09-2)
- "Michaelmas Ordinations". Church Times (#5042). 2 October 1959. p. 14. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 24 May 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "Ordinations". Church Times (#5079). 17 June 1960. p. 15. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 24 May 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|