This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010)
Microsoft Content Management Server (MCMS) is a discontinued Microsoft product intended for small to medium enterprises that require content management functionality on their web site, intranet or portal.
Microsoft Content Management Server was originally developed by a Canadian software company named NCompass Labs Inc. It was first marketed as ActiveEnterprise in 1997 and later changed its name to NCompass Resolution. In 2001 NCompass Labs was purchased by Microsoft for $36 million dollars and the product was re-released under MCMS branding. 
Some of the features offered by this product:
- Inline content-editing
- Built-in security model for authors, editors, moderators, template designers, channel managers, and administrators
- Integrates with Visual Studio, Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Visual Studio 2005
- Some out-of-the-box placeholders (which are essentially editable portions of a page)
- Support for multi-language content through parallel channel an connected posting
- Customizable workflow
The web content management capabilities of MCMS 2002 were integrated into Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007. New functionality such as Enterprise Content Management, Business Intelligence, and search has also been included. Mainstream support ended 14 April 2009, and extended support ended 8 April 2014.
- Building Websites with Microsoft Content Management Server
- Advanced Microsoft Content Management Server Development
- Enhancing Microsoft Content Management Server with ASP.NET
- "NCompass Labs Inc. Secures U.S. $8.5 Million in Second Round Venture Financing; Latest Funding Round Catapults Start-up Into Forefront of Intranet Market. - Free Online Library". www.thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 2019-01-25.
- "NCompass Labs Launches Resolution 3.0". www.infotoday.com. Retrieved 2019-01-25.
- Tarsala, Mike. "Microsoft to acquire NCompass Labs". MarketWatch. Retrieved 2019-01-25.
- English, Bill; Londer, Olga; Bleeker, Todd; Cawood, Stephen (2004). Microsoft Content Management Server 2002: A Complete Guide. Addison-Wesley Professional. p. 27. ISBN 9780321194442.
ncompass labs content management server.
- "SharePoint Whitepaper: Web Content Management". Microsoft Download Center. Retrieved 2019-01-25.
- "Microsoft announces support extension for Microsoft Content Management Server 2002". Archived from the original on 2009-09-01. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- "Building Websites with Microsoft Content Management Server".
- "Advanced Microsoft Content Management Server Development".
- "Enhancing Microsoft Content Management Server with ASP.NET 2.0".