Microsoft Technology Associate
Microsoft Technology Associate was an entry-level certification that validates fundamental technology skills and knowledge in Microsoft products. MTA exams were designed to assess and validate core technical concepts in three primary areas: Databases (MS SQL Server), Development (Visual Studio) and IT Infrastructure (Windows, Windows Server). MTA exams and certification were offered as part of the Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) program.
All exams were retired on June 30, 2022.
Retired exam list
As of October 7, 2019, the retired Microsoft Technology Associate exams are:
|Exam Track||Exam Product||Exam Number||Exam Name||Retirement Day|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-373||Mobile Development Fundamentals||July 31, 2014|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-362||Windows Development Fundamentals||July 31, 2014|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-363||Web Development Fundamentals||July 31, 2015|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-372||.NET Fundamentals||July 31, 2015|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-374||Gaming Development Fundamentals||July 31, 2015|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-379||Software Testing Fundamentals||July 31, 2016|
|IT||None||98-369||Cloud Fundamentals||September 30, 2019|
|IT||Windows||98-349||Windows Operating System Fundamentals||June 30, 2022|
|IT||Windows Server 2016||98-365||Windows Server Administration Fundamentals||June 30, 2022|
|IT||None||98-366||Networking Fundamentals||June 30, 2022|
|IT||None||98-367||Security Fundamentals||June 30, 2022|
|IT||None||98-368||Mobility and Device Fundamentals||June 30, 2022|
|Database||Microsoft SQL Server||98-364||Database Fundamentals||June 30, 2022|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-361||Software Development Fundamentals||June 30, 2022|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-375||HTML5 App Development Fundamentals||June 30, 2022|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-381||Introduction to Programming Using Python||June 30, 2022|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-383||Introduction to Programming Using HTML and CSS||June 30, 2022|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-388||Introduction to Programming Using Java||June 30, 2022|
The Microsoft Technology Associate exams can be scheduled with two exam providers:
- Certiport for students, educators and schools
- Pearson VUE
There are multiple differences about scheduling an exam with Certiport or Pearson VUE such as:
- In Pearson VUE, you need to have two identification documents while in Certiport, you need to have only one
- In Pearson VUE, they take a photo of you and they want a digital signature while in Certiport you don't have to do it
- Outside the United States, there is a restriction with voucher availability in some countries. For example, the Greek Authorized Partner of Certiport can give vouchers only to testing centers and not to candidates while in Pearson VUE you can purchase the voucher online via VUE's site.
- In Pearson VUE testing centers, there are testing days and hours very often while in Certiport, there is one exam datetime per 15 days.
- "Computer training for Microsoft products and technologies". Microsoft Learning. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- "MTA Retirement FAQs". Microsoft Docs. Retrieved 2022-07-19.
- Jones, Edward (22 January 2016). "Planned Microsoft exam retirements for 2016". Firebrand Training blog. Retrieved 9 September 2016.