Microsoft Technology Associate
Microsoft Technology Associate or MTA exams are exams that provide professional based certifications on Microsoft products and they provide the fundamentals for Databases (MSSQL Server), Development (Visual Studio) and IT Infrastructure (Windows, Windows Server). MTA exams and certification are offered as part of the Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) program.
As of September 27, 2019, the MTA has in total 15 exams – 9 live and 6 retired.
Active exam list
As of September 27, 2019, the active Microsoft Technology Associate exams are:
|Exam Track||Exam Product||Exam Number||Exam Name||Status|
|IT||Windows||98-349||Windows Operating System Fundamentals||Live, no plans for retirement|
|IT||Windows Server 2016||98-365||Windows Server Administration Fundamentals||Live, no plans for retirement|
|IT||None||98-367||Security Fundamentals||Live, no plans for retirement|
|IT||None||98-366||Networking Fundamentals||Live, no plans for retirement|
|IT||None||98-368||Mobility and Device Fundamentals||Live, no plans for retirement|
|Database||Microsoft SQL Server||98-364||Database Fundamentals||Live, no plans for retirement|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-361||Software Development Fundamentals||Live, no plans for retirement|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-375||HTML5 App Development Fundamentals||Live, no plans for retirement|
Retired exam list
As of October 7, 2019, the retired Microsoft Technology Associate exams are:
|Exam Track||Exam Product||Exam Number||Exam Name||Retirement Day|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-373||Mobile Development Fundamentals||31 July 2014|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-362||Windows Development Fundamentals||31 July 2014|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-363||Web Development Fundamentals||31 July 2015|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-372||.NET Fundamentals||31 July 2015|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-374||Gaming Development Fundamentals||31 July 2015|
|Development||Visual Studio||98-379||Software Testing Fundamentals||31 July 2016|
|IT||None||98-369||Cloud Fundamentals||30 September 2019|
The Microsoft Technology Associate exams can be scheduled with two exam providers:
- Certiport for students, educators and schools
- Pearson VUE
There are multiple differences about scheduling an exam with Certiport or Pearson VUE such as:
- In Pearson VUE, you need to have two identification documents while in Certiport, you need to have only one
- In Pearson VUE, they take a photo of you and they want a digital signature while in Certiport you don't have to do it
- Outside the United States, there is a restriction with voucher availability in some countries. For example, the Greek Authorized Partner of Certiport can give vouchers only to testing centers and not to candidates while in Pearson VUE you can purchase the voucher online via VUE's site.
- In Pearson VUE testing centers, there are testing days and hours very often while in Certiport, there is one exam datetime per 15 days.
- "Computer training for Microsoft products and technologies". Microsoft Learning. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- Jones, Edward (22 January 2016). "Planned Microsoft exam retirements for 2016". Firebrand Training blog. Retrieved 9 September 2016.