Mike Pannett is a former police officer and author of five books recounting his experiences as an officer with the North Yorkshire Police. He stood as an independent candidate for North Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner in the 2016 election.
Pannett was born in York and attended the Joseph Rowntree School. However, he left with no qualifications, and got a job selling vacuum cleaners before taking the police admissions test at the age of 25.
Pannett joined the Metropolitan Police in 1988, becoming one of the youngest officers to be given his own 'patch'. During his time with the Metropolitan Police, he served on the Divisional Crime Squad, Murder Squad and the Territorial Support Group.
In 1997, he transferred to the North Yorkshire Police, becoming a rural beat officer and later a wildlife officer. In 2005, he starred in the BBC television series Country Cops. Following this, he was inspired to write about his time with the North Yorkshire Police. He left North Yorkshire Police at the rank of Temporary Sergeant in 2007, having secured a publishing deal.
In December 2015, Pannett announced his plans to stand as an independent candidate for North Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner in the 2016 election. Announcing his candidacy, he said: "I cannot stand by and watch policing levels and capacity regressing back to the 1970's. We are all sick and tired of being spoon-fed government spin that crime is falling and all is well in frontline policing. This simply isn't what we are experiencing right in front of our eyes in our own communities." Pannett received 30,984 votes, placing him third of the four candidates.
- Now Then Lad...: Tales of a country bobby
- Not On My Patch, Lad: More Tales of a Yorkshire Bobby
- You're Coming With Me Lad: Tales of a Yorkshire Bobby
- Just the Job, Lad: Tales of a Yorkshire Bobby
- Up Beat and Down Dale: Life and Crimes in the Yorkshire Countryside
- Corner, Lena (1 May 2010). "On the beat: How a retired police officer is cracking down on a "political neglect" of rural law and order". The Independent. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Biography". Mike Pannett. Retrieved 18 April 2016.[self-published source]
- Parsons, Rob (26 March 2016). "Police and Crime Commissioner candidate was reprimanded for 'inappropriate relationship' with female colleague". The Yorkshire Post. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- Bean, Dan (8 December 2015). "Former policeman announces plans to stand as North Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner Mike Pannett Current Police and Crime Commissioner Julia Mulligan". The Press. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- Dan Bean (6 May 2016). "Julia Mulligan re-elected as North Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner". The Press. Retrieved 7 May 2016.