|Occupation||Photographer, celebrity panelist, music video director|
Mike Ruiz (born December 8, 1964) is a Canadian photographer, director, television personality, former model, spokesperson, creative director, and actor.
Ruiz, who is of French Canadian and Spanish Filipino ancestry, was born in Montreal in 1964, but raised in Repentigny, Quebec, Canada. He was one of three sons born to Francoise and Anthony Ruiz. He moved to the United States at age 20 to pursue a career in the entertainment industry. After modeling for a decade he moved to Los Angeles to study acting. In 1997, Ruiz appeared in the independent film Latin Boys Go to Hell.
At the age of 28 Ruiz began in the field of photography. "I found a camera under my Christmas tree and within minutes, I was obsessed. I began shooting everything in sight. I taught myself the intricate mechanics of the camera but it was several years before I realized that I could actually make a living with my work‚" Ruiz was quoted as saying. Presently based in New Jersey, Ruiz is known for celebrity and fashion photography.
His work has appeared in numerous American and international magazines such as Vanity Fair, Flaunt, Condé Nast Traveler, Interview, Paper, Citizen K, Dazed and Confused, Arena, Italian Elle, Spanish and Brazilian Vogue and was a contributor to Dolce & Gabbana's Hollywood book and Iman's The Beauty of Color beauty book. He photographed the album cover for Kelly Clarkson's All I Ever Wanted.
Menswear designer J. Cheikh collaborated with Ruiz to design a capsule collection for the Spring/Summer 2012 menswear collection in hopes of capitalizing on his fashion expertise and personal style. The collection was called "Mike Ruiz for J. Cheikh".
In addition to his advertising and celebrity clients, Ruiz has branched out as a director doing music video for artists such as Vanessa Williams, Kelly Rowland, Jody Watley, Traci Lords, Kristine W and Shontelle. He also made his feature film directorial debut in 2007 with Starrbooty, starring RuPaul.
Ruiz has appeared on several reality shows, including Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List, America's Next Top Model, and RuPaul's Drag Race, as a celebrity photographer and guest judge. He also rounded out the panel of expert judges on the third season of Canada's Next Top Model.
- Rogers, Craig (May 21, 2010). "Review Fix Exclusive: Mike Ruiz Interview". Review Fix. Retrieved 2012-05-03. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Q&A: Canada's Next Top Model Judge and Photographer Mike Ruiz". AOL. June 25, 2009. Archived from the original on April 5, 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-03. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Mike Ruiz: A long way from Repentigny". Montreal Gazette. Retrieved 2020-09-02.
- "Biography". Mike Ruiz. Archived from the original on 2014-07-12. Retrieved 2014-03-27. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Holden, Stephen (12 September 1997). "A Fine Line Between Heaven and Hell". New York Times. Retrieved 3 August 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Mike Ruiz - photographer and director". Gmax.co.za. September 9, 2008. Archived from the original on 2011-07-19. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Kelly Clarkson: All I Ever Wanted - credits". AllMusic.com. Retrieved 3 August 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Tehrani, Daniel (19 December 2012). "Mike Ruiz Collaborates with J Cheikh on Menswear Line". Out Magazine. Retrieved 3 August 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Starrbooty". Internet Movie Database. Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-05-03. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Matson, Michael (October 10, 2011). "Mike Ruiz Gets Engaged, Says Goodbye to "A-List"". Gay.net. Here Media. Archived from the original on February 21, 2013. Retrieved 2012-05-03. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Celeb Photographer Mike Ruiz Is As Interesting As His Subjects". www.out.com. 2020-04-17. Retrieved 2020-09-02.