Mike Turner (Oklahoma politician)
|Oklahoma House of Representatives|
|Preceded by||Guy Liebmann|
|Succeeded by||Kevin Calvey|
|Born||March 17, 1987|
Early life and career
Turner grew up in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. He earned a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering and a master's degree in electrical engineering from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas.
Turner was elected to his first term at age 25 after defeating four-time incumbent Guy Liebmann with about 56 percent of the vote in the Republican party primary for Oklahoma House of Representatives District 82 in July 2012. This was Turner's first run for public office.
Political views and tenure in the Oklahoma House
2014 congressional campaign
In 2014, at age 27, Turner was one of six candidates for the Republican nomination for the seat in the U.S. House of Representatives representing Oklahoma's 5th congressional district, which was being vacated by Republican U.S. Representative James Lankford of Oklahoma City, who ran for the U.S. Senate. Turner ran against Oklahoma Corporation Commissioner Patrice Douglas, state Senator Clark Jolley, minister and former congressional staffer Harvey Sparks, former state Senator Steve Russell, and former State Representative Shane Jett.
Turner's campaign was "financed almost exclusively" by himself. He was the best-funded candidate in the race, putting $625,000 of his own money into his congressional campaign. Turner was also supported by an outside super PAC, the "Democracy Values Fund," which received $135,000 from Turner's family.
- Turner, Mike. "History". Archived from the original on 1 March 2014. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- Thad Ayers, Political newbie ousts incumbent in Dist. 82, Edmond Sun (June 27, 2012).
- James Coburn, Edmond delegation to focus on modernization efforts in Legislature, Edmond Sun (January 18, 2013).
- Oklahoma Bills: Filtering to only show bills sponsored by Mike Turner, OpenStates.org, Sunlight Foundation (accessed June 3, 2016).
- Oklahoma House Votes to Modernize Disaster Recovery System, Insurance Journal (March 8, 2013).
- Chris Casteel, Outside group backing Mike Turner funded by Turners, The Oklahoman (June 19, 2014).
- Phil Cross, Breaking down Oklahoma 5th Congressional District race, KOKH-TV (June 18, 2014).
- Chris Casteel, Patrice Douglas leads money chase in crowded Oklahoma field for U.S. House seat, The Oklahoman (April 20, 2014).
- U.S. House - District 5 - GOP Primary, Associated Press.
- "Our Members". U.S. House of Representatives International Conservation Caucus. Retrieved 5 August 2018.