Millennium Skate Park
|Millennium Skate Park|
|Owl's Head Skate Park|
|Location||Bay Ridge, Brooklyn|
|Area||14,000 Sq Ft|
|Created||New York City Department of Parks and Recreation|
The park opened in 2001, designed by pro-skater Andy Kessler, it was the first concrete skatepark built in Brooklyn. The skate park was funded entirely by City Council Member Marty Golden and implemented by the NYC Parks' Capital Projects Division. Golden worked with Julius Spiegel, Martin Maher, and Laurence Major, Jr. to find a location in the park and bring it to fruition. The city worked with the skateboarding community to design the park. Owl's Head was the first concrete skatepark in New York City built by the Parks Department through the capital process.
The park is approximately 14,000 square feet of skate park area, including both a street section and bowl section. One of the bowls at Millennium Skate Park is eight feet deep. In 2017, the New York City parks department repaired parts of the skatepark.
In 2018, the Andy Kessler Day was held at Millennium skate park. Since it was built, skaters have held many skate jams at the park. The NYC Skateboard Coalition hosts a yearly pool series event at the park.
Gallery of photos from Millennium Skate Park
- "Millennium Skate Park". On the Grid. 30 October 2019.
- "Top 5 NYC Skate Parks - Whirl Construction Blog". www.whirlconstruction.net. Retrieved 2019-10-30.
- "Owl's Head Park Skate Parks : NYC Parks". www.nycgovparks.org. Retrieved 2019-10-30.
- "The top skate parks and shops in New York City". Time Out New York. Retrieved 2019-10-30.
- "Skaters Get Repairs Rolling at Brooklyn's Oldest Skate Park". DNAinfo New York. Archived from the original on 2018-05-19. Retrieved 2019-10-30.
- Clarke, Ian (Dec 2020). "Marty Maher Brooklyn Parks Commissioner Interview by Ian Clarke of the NYC Skateboard Coalition". Juice Magazine. 77: 110–111.
- "About the City of New York/Parks and Recreation". 2011-06-22. Archived from the original on 2011-06-22. Retrieved 2019-10-30.
- Miller, Chris (2017-11-02). "NY CLIPS: Owl's Head Skate Jam (2017)". NYSkateboarding.com. Retrieved 2019-10-30.
- Skateboarding, N. Y. (2018-10-19). "Andy Kessler Day 2018 (2018-10-20)". NYSkateboarding.com. Retrieved 2019-10-30.