Mind the Gap (song)
|"Mind the Gap"|
|Single by Nabiha|
|from the album Mind the Gap|
|Released||10 September 2012|
|Recorded||Make Music Studio (London, England)|
|Writer(s)||Carl Ryden, Michelle Escoffery, Nabiha Bensouda, Will Simms|
|Producer(s)||Carl Ryden, Will Simms|
|Certification||Platinum (IFPI Denmark)|
|Nabiha singles chronology|
"Mind the Gap" is a song by Danish singer Nabiha, released as the lead single from her second studio album of the same name. She wrote it with Michelle Escoffery, Carl Ryden and Will Simms. The name was inspired from warning signs on the London Underground station, while it also refers to the gap between her front teeth, meaning good luck. The song has been a hit on various charts in UK. Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium, Bulgaria, Poland and Hungary, and has also been positively received by music critics.
Background and composition
"Mind the Gap" was written by Nabiha, Michelle Escoffery, Carl Ryden, and Will Simms, with both Ryden and Simms handling production of the song. The entire song was recorded, produced and mixed by Ryden at Make Music Studio in London, and was mastered at Metroplis in London. The track was released as the lead single of her second studio album of the same name, where it is the third track, on 10 September 2012.
"Mind the Gap" is a funky soul pop song that plays for a duration of 2 minutes and 46 seconds. Instrumentation includes lead vocals, backing vocals, keyboards, guitar, and programmed drums. The backing vocalist for the song was Terri Walker. The title and concept of the song came from seeing warnings at the London Underground station on numerous trips to the studio, which read "Mind the Gap". It also comes from the space between her front teeth, and her experience with other people looking at her. According to Nabiha, "It is a huge part of me, and in many African countries it symbolizes ‘good luck’. So the message is that we must take care of each other and ourselves, so everybody arrives safely to their destination."
Gaffa wrote that "Mind the Gap", along with "Kill It With Love" and "Heartbreaker", were "excellent numbers which funnily enough is the most efficient on the album [Mind the Gap]." Scandipop considered the song her best one throughout her career, writing "Instantly catchy, it’s the sort of one-listen-and-you’re-hooked kind of thing that we subscribe to so heavily around these parts. “mind the gap, mind the girl, da-da-da-da-da-da-daaaa” (not the actual lyrics)." The Ekstra Bladet opined that "'Mind the Gap' refers to Nabiha space between the front teeth, but the title would therefore seem more cheerful if she also had glorious characteristics musically."
The video for "Mind the Gap" premiered on 26 November 2012. It was directed by Scott Altman. The video is in black-and-white, with Nabiha performing in front of the microphone. According to Altman, "After pitching on the video, label and management approached me with a couple of ideas. In the end we stripped the ideas back and decided to shoot a performance based video in black and white. Once again Nabiha was great to work with – a natural performer, whose ability and talent got better with every take."
In other media
Adapted from liner notes of Mind the Gap:
- Nabiha — Lead vocals, songwriter
- Terri Walker — Backing vocals
- Carl Ryden — songwriter, producer, mixer, keyboardist, guitarist, drum programming
- Will Simms — songwriter, producer
- Michelle Escoffery — songwriter
Commercial performance statistics
- Nabiha* – Mind The Gap (File). Discogs.com. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- Mind the Gap (Media notes). Nabiha. disco:wax, Sony Music. 88883700922.
- Hassan, Sohail (25 March 2013). Review/CD – Nabiha - Mind The Gap (in Danish). Gaffa. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Certificeringer" (in Danish). IFPI Danmark. p. 35. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Biography. nabihamusic.com. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- VH1's Nabiha Talks "Mind the Gap". VH1. 18 July 2013. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Nabiha: ‘Mind The Gap’. Scandipop. 27 November 2012. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Treo, Thomas (21 March 2013). Nabiha har mistet charmen (in Danish). Ekstra Bladet. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- nobihamusic (26 November 2012). on YouTube. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- A. Maitland, Sashana (30 January 2013). Nabiha - Mind the Gap. singersroom.com. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Aura Dione, Stine Bramsen & Nabiha at the Danish Music Awards". Scandipop. 12 November 2012. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Neergaard, Sigrid (22 April 2013). Mind this one, because she’s going great guns. The Copenhagen Post. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Rosenstand Svidt, Ole (10 June 2013). Nabiha tager på efterårsturné (in Danish). Gaffa. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- Nabiha – Mind the Gap (Lenno Remix) [Release]. The Frontliner. 3 February 2013. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Piosenki z Pretty Little Liars: soundtrack s04e09 Into The Deep. Jakie hity na urodzinach Emily? [VIDEO]. Radio Eska. 8 August 2013. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Ultratop.be – Nabiha – Mind The Gap" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Danishcharts.com – Nabiha – Mind The Gap". Tracklisten. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Nabiha – Mind The Gap Hitlisten.nu" (in Danish). Tracklisten. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Bit Track Top-20 – Uge 41 - 2012. hitlisterne.dk. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Denmark Digital Songs : Dec 1, 2012. Billboard.com. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Streaming Top-20 – Uge 47 - 2012. hitlisterne.dk. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- Archívum › Kereső - előadó/cím szerint (in Hungarian). zene.slagerlistak.hu. Select előadó. Then, in the box next to Előadó/cím:, type Nabiha. Then click Keresés. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Certificeringer" (in Danish). IFPI Danmark. p. 36. Retrieved 13 August 2013.