Minha Mãe é uma Peça 2
|Minha Mãe é uma Peça 2|
Brazilian theatrical release poster
|Directed by||César Rodrigues|
|Written by||Paulo Gustavo|
R$ 8 million|
R$ 124 million|
Minha Mãe é uma Peça 2 (en: My Mother Is A Character 2) is a Brazilian comedy film written and starred by Paulo Gustavo, based on his play of the same name. It is a sequel to the 2013 success "Minha Mãe é uma Peça" and was produced by Downtown Filmes and Globo Filmes in association with Paramount and Universal Pictures. Its release in Brazil happened on December 22, 2016 distributed by Migdal and Paris Films.
After its release, the film received mixed to positive reviews, with some critics praising its balance between humor and drama while others criticized the plot for repeating the same formula and not showing evolution from the first film.
Dona Hermínia (Paulo Gustavo) is now a rich and successful talkshow host. However, the overprotective mother will have to deal with the empty nest syndrome, after all Juliano (Rodrigo Pandolfo) and Marcelina (Mariana Xavier) resolve to move to São Paulo to live their adult lives. Hermínia struggles to accept the fact that her children are moving away. To balance, Garib (Bruno Bebianno), the eldest sibling, arrives with his son, who keeps Mrs. Hermínia busy for a while. She also receives a long visit from her obnoxious older sister Lucia Helena (Patricya Travassos), the black sheep of the family, who has lived in New York for years.
Meanwhile, Juliano starts to think he's actually bisexual instead of gay. Hermínia is also worrying about beloved Aunt Zélia, who is now dealing with Alzheimer's disease. The main message of the film is about the feeling of loneliness when your loved ones are not around.
After the high box office success of the first film, that had four million spectators, Paulo Gustavo announced he would be working on the sequel. On January 4, 2016, Paulo Gustavo posted on his social networks: "Minha Mãe É Uma Peça 2 arrives next year! Alright, people? Filming starts in April."
Principal photography started on April 3, 2016 in Rio de Janeiro. The sequel is directed by César Rodrigues, and most of the cast from the first film is present. Patrícya Travassos, a new addition to the cast, plays Lúcia Helena, Mrs. Hermínia's older sister that went to live in New York City but comes back to visit her family.
- Paulo Gustavo as Hermínia
- Mariana Xavier as Marcelina
- Rodrigo Pandolfo as Juliano
- Herson Capri as Carlos Alberto
- Patrícya Travassos as Lúcia Helena
- Alexandra Richter as Iesa Amaral Leite
- Suely Franco as Tia Zélia
- Samantha Schmütz as Valdéia
- Rhaisa Batista as Cecília
- Malu Valle as Dona Lourdes
- Ilva Niño as Dona Zezé
- Bruno Bebianno as Garib
- Sérgio Stern as Sindico
- Jorge Lucas as the Doctor
- Fátima Bernardes as herself
- Carla Prata as hooker
Pablo R. Bazarello from Cinepop said that "what is surprising in the sequel is the attention given in the right measure to the dramatic tone surrounding the subplot of Aunt Zélia, increasingly senile and demanding special care. Excerpts, the director César Rodrigues [hits] our feelings, without being mushy or oversentimentalist."
Juca Claudino from Ccine10 wrote: "My Mother Is A Character 2 ends up being a bit boring in some moments of sentimentality... These facts have taken away our interest in the film, an effect that is reduced thanks to Dona Hermínia's humorous performance."
The film reached 1 million viewers in its opening weekend. In its second weekend run, the film reached a 3,27 million audience. On January 17, 2017, Paulo Gustavo himself disclosed in his social network that the film already had reached 6 million viewers. On January 30, 2017, comScore data was released, indicating that the film reached the mark of 8 million spectators, reaching the third position on the ranking of most watched films in the history of Brazilian cinema, only behind of "Tropa de Elite 2" (2010) and "The Ten Commandments: The Movie" (2016).
- "Maior arrecadação nacional, 'Minha Mãe É uma Peça 2' não tem maior público". Folha (in Portuguese). 2017-02-15. Retrieved 2017-03-27.
- "‘Minha Mãe é Uma Peça 2’ ganha data de estreia | CinePOP". cinepop.com.br. Retrieved February 18, 2017.
- "Paulo Gustavo já está rodando a sequência "Minha Mãe é Uma Peça 2" no Rio de Janeiro!". Pure Break. 10 April 2016. Retrieved December 18, 2016.
- "Críticas da imprensa". Adoro Cinema. Retrieved December 19, 2016.
- G1 (February 8, 2017). "'Minha mãe é uma peça 2' se torna o filme com a maior bilheteria na história do cinema brasileiro". Retrieved February 18, 2017.