|New Testament manuscript
|Text||Acts, Paul, Rev.|
|Now at||Berlin State Library|
|Size||24 cm by 16 cm|
Minuscule 172 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), α 404 (Soden), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 13th or the 14th century. Formerly it was labelled by 178a, 242p, and 87r. It has marginalia.
The codex contains the text of the Acts of the Apostles, Pauline epistles, Book of Revelations on 234 parchment leaves (size 24 cm by 16 cm) with numerous lacunae. The text is written in one column per page, in 24-30 lines per page. The leaves are arranged in quarto.
The Pauline epistles are written in smaller letters than the rest.
The text is divided according to the κεφαλαια (chapters), whose numbers are given at the margin.
It contains prolegomena, tables of the κεφαλαια (tables of contents) to Pauline epistles, lectionary markings at the margin (for liturgical use), incipits, αναγνωσεις (lessons), subscriptions at the end of each book, and numbers of στιχοι.
Acts 1:1-4:24; 5:2-16; 6:2-7:2; 7:16-8:10; 8:38-9:13; 9:26-39; 10:9-22; 10:43-13:1; 23:32-24:24; 28:23-James 1:5; 3:6-4:16; 2 Peter 3:10-1 John 1:1; 3:13-4:2; Jude 16-25; Romans 14:23 - 15:1.4; 1 Corinthians 3:15-15:23; 2 Corinthians 10: 14-11:19; 13:5-13; Ephesians 1:1-2:14; 5:29-6:24 Colossians 1:24-26; 2:4-7; 2 Thessalonians 1:1-3:5; Hebrews 9:3-10:29 Rev 14:4-14; 21: 12-22:21.
It was examined by Birch (about 1782), Scholz, and Scrivener. Scrivener in 1856 fully collated Apocalypse. C. R. Gregory saw it in 1883. Formerly it was labelled by 178a, 242p, and 87r. In 1908 Gregory gave for it number 172.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 54.
- K. Aland, M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack, "Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments", Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 1994, p. 57.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament. 1 (4 ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. p. 296.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments. 1. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs. p. 279.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 138. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- F. H. A. Scrivener, An Exact Transcript of the Codex Augiensis (Cambridge and London, 1859), pp. 76–77. (as m)