|New Testament manuscript
The beginning of the Acts
|Text||Acts, Pauline epistles|
|Now at||University of Michigan Library|
|Size||28.2 cm by 21.3 cm|
Minuscule 223 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), α 263 (Von Soden numbering), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 14th-century. Formerly it was labeled by 223a and 277p. Scrivener labelled it by 220a and 264p.
The codex contains the text of the Acts, Pauline, and Catholic epistles on 376 parchment leaves (size 28.2 cm by 21.3 cm), with some lacunae (first leaves in 2 Corinthians with 1:1-3, Ephesians with 1:1-4, and Hebrews with 1:1-6). The text is written in one column per page, 22-23 lines per page, on fine vellum with broad margins. Titles in gold, initial letters ornamented, brilliantly illuminated.
The text is divided according to the κεφαλαια (chapters), whose numbers are given at the margin, and the τιτλοι (titles of chapters) at the top of the pages.
It contains double prolegomena, Journeys and death of Paul,[n 1] tables of the κεφαλαια (to the Acts), lectionary markings at the margin, liturgical books with hagiographies (Synaxarion, Menologion), and subscriptions at the end of each biblical book. The illuminations are given before each book.
The manuscript was written by Antonius, a monk. According to the colophon the manuscript was written by Antonios of Malaka in 1244. Dating of the manuscript is problematic, possibly the colophon was not inserted by original scribe. It was examined by Scrivener and Gregory (1883).
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 56.
- K. Aland, M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack, "Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments", Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 1994, p. 60.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments. 1. Leipzig: Hinrichs. p. 282.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament. 1 (4 ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. pp. 299–300.
- Bruce M. Metzger (1991). Manuscripts of the Greek Bible. Oxford University Press. p. 134.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 138. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- "Liste Handschriften". Münster: Institute for New Testament Textual Research. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- F. H. A. Scrivener, Adversaria critica sacra (Cambridge, 1893).
- K. W. Clark, Eight American Praxapostoloi, (Chicago, 1941).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Minuscule 223 (GA).|