|New Testament manuscript
|Now at||Biblioteca Marciana|
|Size||21 x 14.6|
Minuscule 409 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), ε 424 (in Soden's numbering), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 14th century. It has marginalia.
The codex contains a complete text of the four Gospels on 210 parchment leaves (21 cm by 14.6 cm). The text is written in one column per page, in 29 lines per page. The writing is very rough, the stops being mostly red crosses.
The text is divided according to the κεφαλαια (chapters), whose numbers are given at the margin, with their τιτλοι (titles) at the top of the pages. There is also a division according to the Ammonian Sections (in Mark 234 Sections, the last section in 16:9), but references to the Eusebian Canons are absent.
It contains the Epistula ad Carpianum, the Eusebian Canon tables, and Prolegomena at the beginning, the tables of the κεφαλαια (tables of contents) are placed before each Gospel, the Synaxarion, Menologion, subscriptions at the end of each Gospel, with numbers of stichoi.
The Greek text of the codex is a representative of the Byzantine text-type. Hermann von Soden classified it to the textual family Kx. Aland placed it in Category V. According to the Claremont Profile Method it represents textual family Kx in Luke 1 and Luke 20. In Luke 10 no profile was made.
The text contains many errors and rare readings.
Wiedmann and J. G. J. Braun collated portions of the manuscript for Scholz (1794-1852). The manuscript was added to the list of New Testament manuscripts by Scholz. C. R. Gregory saw it in 1886.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 63.
- Aland, K.; M. Welte; B. Köster; K. Junack (1994). Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments. Berlin, New York: Walter de Gruyter. p. 71. ISBN 3-11-011986-2.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament. 1 (4 ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. p. 236.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments. 1. Leipzig: Hinrichs. p. 187.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The profile method for the classification and evaluation of manuscript evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 60. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 139. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose (1861). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament. London. p. 174.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament. 1. London. p. 225.