|New Testament manuscript
The first page of Matthew
|Text||New Testament (except Rev.)|
|Now at||Magdalen College|
|Size||22.5 cm by 19 cm|
Minuscule 57 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), δ 255 (Von Soden), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment leaves. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 12th century. The manuscript is lacunose. It has marginalia.
The codex contains entire of the New Testament except the Book of Revelation on 291 parchment leaves (size 22.5 cm by 19 cm), with two lacunae (Mark 1:1-11 and at the end). The leaves are arranged in quarto (four leaves in quire). The text is written in one column per page, 25 lines per page. Psalms and Hymns follow Epistles. The initial letters and headpieces are illuminated. It has accents and breathings, the nomina sacra are written in and abbreviated way. It is written in small beautiful letters with an abbreviations. The initial letters in gold.
It contains lists of the κεφαλαια (tables of contents) before the Gospels of Matthew, Luke, and John. The text is divided according to the κεφαλαια (chapters), whose numbers are given at the margin, and their τιτλοι (titles) at the top of the pages. It contains lectionary markings at the margin in red (for liturgical use), but added by a later hand).
Walton used it for a Polyglot (as Magd. 1). Henry Hammond collated the manuscript twice. It was also examined by Wettstein (in 1715), Orlando T. Dobbin (for John Mill), and C. R. Gregory (in 1883).
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 50.
- K. Aland, M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack, "Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments", Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 1994, p. 50.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments. 1. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs. pp. 141–142.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament. 1 (4 ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. p. 198.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 138. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 54. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- Magdalen College MS. Gr. 9
- Wettstein, J. J. (1751). Novum Testamentum Graecum editionis receptae cum lectionibus variantibus codicum manuscripts. Amsterdam: Ex Officina Dommeriana. p. 51.
- Orlando Dobbin, Collation of the Codex Montfortianus (London, 1854), p. 28-30.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments. 1. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. pp. 141–142.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Minuscule 57 (GA).|
- Minuscule 57 at Oxford University