|New Testament manuscript
|Now at||Gonville and Caius College|
|Size||19.6 cm by 14.5 cm|
Minuscule 59 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), ε 272 (Von Soden), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment leaves. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 13th century. It has complex contents and some marginalia.
The text is divided according to the κεφαλαια (chapters), whose numbers are given at the margin, and their τιτλοι (titles) at the top of the pages. There is also a division according to the Ammonian Sections, but no references to the Eusebian Canons.
The Greek text of the codex is a representative of the Byzantine text-type. Hermann von Soden classified it to the textual family Kx. Aland did not place it in any Category. According to the Claremont Profile Method it represents Kx text in Luke 10 and Luke 20. In Luke 1 it has mixed Byzantine text.
It has some unusual textual variants. In Matthew 23:35 phrase υιου βαραχιου (son of Barachi'ah) is omitted; this omission is supported only by Codex Sinaiticus, three Evangelistaria (ℓ 6, ℓ 13, and ℓ 185), and Eusebius.
The manuscript once belonged to the House of Friars Minor at Oxford. In 1567 Thomas Hatcher gave it to Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge (not 1867, as Scrivener wrote). It was examined by Mill, Wettstein (in 1716), minutely collated by Scrivener in 1860. C. R. Gregory saw it in 1886.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 50.
- K. Aland, M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack, "Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments", Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 1994, p. 50.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments. 1. Leipzig: Hinrichs. p. 142.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament. 1 (4 ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. p. 199.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 54. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 138. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament. 1. London: George Bell & Sons. p. 342.
- J. Rendel Harris, The origin of the Leicester Codex (London 1887), p. 19.