|Origin||Halifax, Nova Scotia|
|Years active||1998-2010 -->|
|Associated acts||Knight, Asif Illyas|
|Past members||Chis Church, Julian Marentette|
Mir is a Canadian alternative rock and pop music group based in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Asif Illyas is the band's lead vocalist, guitarist and pianist. His brother Shehab Illyas is the bassist and vocalist, and Adam Dowling is drummer and a second vocalist.
Mir formed in 1998 in Halifax. In 2000 the group organized the MIR Supershow, a fundraiser in support of the Centre For Diverse Visible Culture.
Their projects have been released in Canada and Europe, and their 2006 itinerary included four tours in Germany after being signed to Silversonic Records in Germany. In 2004 MIR was signed to East West Warner Records for 2 years and toured extensively in Germany playing large festivals including Rock am Ring and Rock im Park in 2005. Also in 2005 they organized a fundraiser for victims of the tsunami in Sri Lanka, and in 2006 they traveled to Sri Lankha with a CBC news crew who were documenting the relief and reconstruction efforts.
In 2008, the band was nominated at the East Coast Music Awards for Rock/Group of the Year and Songwriter of the Year. Mir also received over thirty various ECMA nominations in previous years.
Asif Illyas is released a solo project titled Synesthesia on April 17th 2013 in Canada and bassist Shehab Illyas also has recorded a solo project under the pseudonym Knight titled "Top of the world" that was accompanied by a 30min a short with the same titled that he wrote and directed in year 2014.
- 1998: What's Wrong with Being Sexy? EP (Canadian release)
- 2001: Invisible Science (Canadian release)
- 2002: Invisible Science - The Single (Canadian release)
- 2003: State of Emergency (European release)
- 2004: July 13 7 Directions (Canadian release)
- 2004 November 2004 : Invisible Science MMIV (re-release Warner/Eastwest Europe)
- 2005: The Acoustic Record (Canadian release)
- 2006: 7 Directions (European release Silversonic Records Germany)
- 2008: "OK2GO!" (CANADIAN RELEASE)
- 2008: December 4 " A Soldier's Carol" Christmas EP (Canadian release)
- "Tender tributes for fallen rocker". Chronicle Herald, By STEPHEN COOKE April 7, 2013
- "Atlantic Buzz: Cuttin’ At The Olympics". Chart Attack, Oct 5, 2001
- [Halifax Buzz: Eating Humble Pie On The Dance Floor"]. Chart Attack - Nov 17, 2000
- " MIR image". The Coast, By Roche Uhntraal Mar 16, 2006
- "ECMA nominees announced". The Journal Pioneer December 11, 2008
- "Gordie Sampson, Matt Mays, El Torpedo vie for ECMA honours". CBC Arts, Dec 11, 2008
- "The vision of movie sound". Chronicle Herald, STEPHEN COOKE,September 17, 2013
- "Atlantic Buzz: East Coasters Head To NXNE, Mir, Jimmy Swift News". Chart Attack, May 17, 2002