Sen was born in 1971 in West Bengal and obtained Bachelor's and Master's degrees in painting from Kala Bhavan at Santiniketan, West Bengal. Later, she completed a post-graduate program at the Glasgow School of Art in the United Kingdom on the Charles Wallace India Trust Award for 2000-2001.
Sen uses paintings and installations to comment on social issues of self-representation, gender stereotypes, and the society. Her work includes images of the body, motifs from Indian and global popular culture and Japanese anime characters.
- Chemould Prescott Road, Mumbai, UnMYthU | Byproducts of twenty years of performance Mithu Sen, 2018
- 'I Dig, I Look Down' at Albion Gallery, London, in 2008
- ‘Half Full – Part I’ at Bose Pacia, New York, in 2007
- ‘Half Full – Part II’ at Nature Morte, New Delhi, in 2007
- ‘It's Good to be Queen’ at Bose Pacia Artist Space, New York, in 2006
- ‘Drawing Room - II’ at Gallery Chemould, Mumbai, in 2006
- Bhau Daji Lad Museum, Mumbai, Asymmetrical Objects, 2018
- Pizzuti Collection, Columbus, Visions From India, 2017
- Museum of African Design (MOAD), Johannesburg, We See (in) the Dark, 2015
- Museum of African Design (MOAD), Johannesburg, Curate Life Collection competition, 2015
- Queens Museum, Queens, After Midnight: Indian Modernism to Contemporary India, 1947/1997, 2015
- 'Still Moving Image' at the Devi Art Foundation, New Delhi, 2008
- 'Link' at Sakshi Art Gallery, Mumbai, 2008
- 'Contradictions and Complexities: Contemporary Art From India' at d.e.n. Contemporary Art and Western Project, Culver City, 2008
- ‘Shifting Terrains / Altered Realities’ at the Shrine Gallery, New Delhi, 2008
- "Mithu Sen". Saffronart. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "Nature Morte – Mithu Sen". www.naturemorte.com. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- Karode, Roobina (January 2012). "Crossings". Time Unfolded. 2: 100.
- "A Talk with Mithu Sen". www.theartstrust.com. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "Mithu Sen - 32 Artworks, Bio & Shows on Artsy". www.artsy.net. Retrieved 2018-03-03.
- "Delhi artist Mithu Sen wins 1 million Skoda Prize for art". The Economic Times. 2011. Retrieved 2018-03-03.