|Region of origin||China|
The Chinese family name Mo (莫) is pronounced in Mandarin as "Mò" (4th tone), in Cantonese as "Mok6" (6th tone). The surname is often romanized as Mok where Cantonese speakers are prominent. According to a study of Mu Ying's Name record, the surname came to be when descendants of the antediluvian ruler Zhuanxu abbreviated the name of his city, Moyangcheng (莫陽城; in modern-day Pingxiang County, Hebei) and took it as their surname.
As Chinese family names go, Mo is relatively rare, ranked 168th in the Hundred Family Surnames. In 2004, there were an estimated 73,000 people with the surname of Mo abroad and 1,540,000 Mo's in China.
When not used as a surname, 'Mo' (莫) means 'do not'.
Famous people surnamed 莫
Art and literature
- Mo Yan (莫言), real name Guan Moye (管谟业), Chinese author, Nobel laureate
- Max Mok Siu-Chung (莫少聰), Hong Kong actor
- Hoyan Mok (莫可欣), Winner of Miss Hong Kong Pageant (1993)
- Warren Mok (莫華倫), Hong Kong tenor
- Mo Yang, Chinese Canadian, Corporate FX Specialist with Western Union Business Solutions. He is also fluent in French and Chinese and worked in M&A. He holds the title of CPA, CA and CFA and is a master in the intricacies of GAAP reporting and hedge accounting.
- Ken Mok, Executive Producer of ANTM
- May Mok (莫美華), Sound (editor, mixer, designer, effects editor) and adr recordist
- Tze Ming Mok (莫志明), New Zealand writer
- Mo Xuanqing (莫宣卿), the youngest 'Number One Scholar' (in the imperial examination) in Chinese history
- Mo Yueding (莫月鼎), Shenxiao Taoist Sect, in Song Dynasty and Yuan Dynasty
- Mo Teh-hui (莫德惠), Minister of Agricultural and Business (Republic of China)
- Ta Mok, Khmer Rouge South-Western Zone commander
- Mo Huilan (莫慧兰), Chinese gymnast Silver Medal, 1996 Olympic Games (Atlanta)
- Bill Mok (莫國城), Executive Committee Member of World Karate Federation (WKF); Secretary General of Asian Karatedo Federation (AKF); Director of Japan Karatedo Seigokan.
- Karen Mok (莫文蔚), Hong Kong Chinese singer, actress, composer, producer, designer.
|This page lists people with the surname Mo. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|
|This surname-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|