This article was considered for deletion, and requires cleanup according to the discussion. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Moladi is a South African company specialising in a reusable plastic formwork for use in construction of affordable housing and low cost housing projects, mainly in third world countries. The process involves creating a mould the form of the complete house. This wall mould is then filled with an aerated form of mortar. The process is also claimed to be faster than traditional methods of construction.
The process has won the Design for Development award of the South African Bureau of Standards Design Institute in 1997, with the institute praising Moladi as:
...an interlocking and modular shutter system for moulding complex concrete structures. The panels are lightweight and very robust. The system is especially suited for affordable low-cost, mass housing schemes.
In addition to being a part of the drive by the South African government to replace shantytowns with proper houses, Moladi also exports to third world countries like Panama, where the company also plans to set up a factory. The company also opened a new factory in Port Elizabeth in 2008.
- Cheaper solutions needed to housing backlog - Cape Times, Tuesday 17 April 2007
- Design for Development Awards 1997 (from the South African Bureau of Standards Design Institute homepage)
- Feeling like a lady on Woman's Day Archived 18 December 2007 at the Wayback Machine. (via 'property24.com' website, 2007-08-08. Retrieved 2007-10-12.)
- Moladi solves key low-cost challenges - Van Zyl, Roux, Weekend Post, Saturday 3 June 2006
- Cheap housing maker opens PE office (from the 'property24.com' website, Tuesday 4 March 2008
- You can build a house in a Day[permanent dead link]' - Karen van Rooyen, Sunday Times, Sunday March 2009
- moladi: An Affordable Housing Solution for the Poor? Archived 9 January 2011 at the Wayback Machine.'United Nations Development Programme - GIM Case Study No. B082. New York:
- "Ein Haus für die Welt" [A home for the World] (PDF). Der Spiegel (in German) (20). 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 April 2012.
Future of Construction - World Economic Forum - World Bank
- Design Indaba - a better world through creativity (Pour a House)
- Mandela Day - moladi to donate a home on Nelson Mandela's birthday (moladi Mandela Day )
- New technology cuts building costs (moladi Botswana)
- New house construction technology successfully tested (moladi Tanzania )
- Cheaper plan to beat classrooms shortage (locals are employed to build schools)
- Design with the Other 90% CITIES (Exhibit at the United Nations - Smithsonian Institution - Plastic Formwork System)
- Sustainable Development Award (Frost & Sullivan Green Excellence in Sustainable Development Award)
- Financial Mail -Affordable Housing (Financial Mail - Affordable Housing - Better ways to build)