|Origin||Ottawa, Ontario, Canada|
MonkeyJunk is a Canadian rock and roll/swamp/blues band, based in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The band has won two Juno Awards for Blues Album of the Year. The band won in 2012 for their album To Behold and in 2018 for their latest release Time to Roll.
The band was formed in Ottawa, Canada, in 2008. Band members are Steve Marriner on vocals, baritone guitar, harmonica, Hammond organ; Tony D. (Tony Diteodoro) on lead guitar; and Matt Sobb on drums and percussion. Marriner had been playing a weekly solo show at Irene's Pub in Ottawa, frequently inviting guests to join him. An occasionally recurring guest was Tony D and he once asked Sobb to join too but never together. Marriner and D struck up the idea to try a three piece (two guitars, drums and no bass) and since Sobb had been playing with Tony D. for approximately eight years, and before that time with Marriner in another project, he was called to start this new project on the last Sunday of March 2008. The band members are from different age cohorts, with Tony D. and Sobb being respectively twenty-two and twelve years older than Marriner (born 1984).
The band formation does not include a bass player. Such a formation is found in a number of notable classic blues bands, such as Hound Dog Taylor and the HouseRockers. The band's name comes from an interview with Son House, who described the blues as being about love, stating "I'm talking about the blues. I ain't talkin' 'bout monkey junk".
The band maintains a busy touring schedule, touring across Canada, into the United States and across Europe as well.
- 2013 Songwriter of the year
- 2013 Recording of the year (All Frequencies)
- 2013 Electric act of the year
- 2013 Entertainer of the year
- 2012 Electric act of the year
- 2011 Recording of the year (To Behold)
- 2011 Electric act of the year
- 2010 Electric act of the year
- 2009 Entertainer of the year
- 2009 Electric act of the year
- 2012 winner Blues album of the year (To Behold)
- 2014 nomination Blues album of the year (All Frequencies)
- 2018 winner Blues album of the year (Time to Roll)
- 2010 Best New Artist Debut 
- 2016 Time To Roll (Stony Plain)
- 2015 Moon Turn Red (Stony Plain)
- 2014 Tiger in Your Tank (Stony Plain)
- 2013 All Frequencies (Stony Plain)
- 2011 To Behold (Stony Plain)
- 2009 Tiger in Your Tank (Independent)
- Charlie Frazier, Q&A with MonkeyJunk's Steve Marriner. American Blues Scene Magazine, October 14, 2014. Retrieved 2015-12-16.
- Peter Goddard, MonkeyJunk monkeys around with traditional blues. Toronto Star, October 16, 2013. Retrieved 2015-12-05.
- Uncredited and undated, Interview with Son House. Retrieved 2015-12-06.
- Marriner also won in the solo category as harmonica player of the year.
- Sobb also won in the solo category as drummer of the year.
- Toronto Blues Society, 2010 Maple Blues Award Winners and Nominees. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- Toronto Blues Society, 2009 Maple Blues Awards Winners and Nominees Archived 2012-03-22 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2015-12-09.
- Tony D. won the individual 2009 Maple Blues Award for guitarist of the year, while Steve Marriner won awards as male vocalist of the year and harmonica player of the year.
- Canadian Independent Music Awards, 2014 Nominees and Winners. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- Canadian Independent Music Awards, 2010 Nominees and Winners. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- "Junos 2018: the complete list of winners". CBC News, · March 25, 2018
- The Blues Foundation, Blues Music Awards - Past Nominees and Winners Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2015-12-14.
- Re-release by Stony Plain Records of first album, including two new songs.