Monticello University was an unaccredited diploma mill incorporated in Hawaii, but based in Kansas, whose operator Leslie Edwin Snell (aka Dax Snell) was found guilty in 2000 of issuing invalid degrees, and which Kansas has accused of being fake. The Circuit Court of the First Circuit in the State of Hawai ordered the university, amongst other orders, preventing it from claiming it was legally qualified to issue degrees, to declare that it utilises "erroneous or misleading advertising".
- Thomas Jefferson Education Foundation, a related fraudulent organisation
- List of unaccredited institutions of higher learning
- "Online Education Facts - The Four victims". onlineeducationfacts.com. Retrieved 22 August 2010.
on the same page in the Economist, there were large ads for Harvard University (quite real) and Monticello University (which the state of Kansas has accused of being fake)
- "Civil Enforcement Lawsuits: Monticello University". State of Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. Retrieved 2010-08-22.
formerly known as Thomas Jefferson University
- Tang, Heather (May 26, 2000). "State dominates the $200 million quick-degree industry". Honolulu: Pacific Business News. Retrieved 22 August 2010.
operator Leslie Snell was found guilty in Hawaii and Kansas of issuing invalid degrees without state authority and was fined in excess of $1.7 million. ... judge's finding that the university falsely claimed to offer "accredited doctorate, master's and bachelor's" degrees
- Iqbal, Anwar (2010-07-12). "Status of Babar Awan’s alma mater in doubt". Dawn (newspaper).
university from where Law Minister Babar Awan claims to have done his PhD is banned in the United States from issuing any degree ... it does “utilise erroneous or misleading advertising”.
- Noah, Harold J.; Eckstein, Max A. (2001). "3". Fraud and education: the worm in the apple. Rowman & Littlefield. pp. 68–70. ISBN 978-0-7425-1032-6.
7. Monticello University (Kansas)C1 control character in
|pages=at position 4 (help)
- "Babar Awan’s case to be sent to ECP, again". PakTribune. July 29, 2010. Retrieved 22 August 2010.
take action against the law minister for holding a fake doctorate degree.