Motion Picture Herald
The Motion Picture Herald was an American film industry trade paper published from 1931 to December 1972. It was replaced by the QP Herald, which only lasted until May 1973. It was established as the Exhibitors Herald in 1915.
The paper's origins go back to 1915 when a Chicago printing company launched a film publication as a regional trade paper for exhibitors in the Midwest and known as Exhibitors Herald.
In 1917, Quigley acquired and merged another publication Motography. into his magazine. In 1927, he further acquired and merged the magazine The Moving Picture World and began publishing it as Exhibitors Herald and Moving Picture World, which was later shortened to the more manageable title, Exhibitors Herald World. Exhibitors Herald and Moving Picture World also incorporated The Film Index that was founded in 1906.
The Media History Digital Library has scans of the archive of Exhibitors Herald (1917 to 1927); Exhibitors Herald and Moving Picture World (1928); Exhibitors Herald World (1929 to 1930) and Motion Picture Herald (1931–1956) available online.
- Motion Picture Daily
- International Television & Video Almanac
- The Hollywood Reporter
- List of film periodicals
- "Miss Grable Voted Leading 1943 Star; Takes Motion Picture Herald's Box-Office Championship -Bob Hope Is Second". The New York Times. December 25, 1943. p. 19.
- "T. Ramsaye Dies; A Film Historian; Former Official of The Motion Picture Herald Was Editor in Chief cif Pathe News". The New York Times. August 20, 1954. p. 19.
- Anthony Slide, ed. (1985). International Film, Radio, and Television Journals. Greenwood Press. p. 242.
- Robert A. Osborone (1973). Academy Awards Oscar Annual. ESE California. p. 10.
- "Exhibitors Herald Mar-Apr 1924". Lantern. Media History Digital Library. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "Exhibitors Herald and Moving Picture World, Vol 90, No. 1". January 7, 1928. p. 20. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- "Motion Picture Herald, Vol 103, No. 1". April 4, 1931. p. 7. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- "The Press: Cinema Corner". Time. December 22, 1930.
- "Screen Papers Merged: Exhibitors' Herald and Moving Picture World Close Deal". The New York Times. December 30, 1927. p. 21.
- "Film Magazines Merge". The New York Times. December 15, 1930. p. 42.
- "Hollywood Studio System Collection". Media History Digital Library. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Motion Picture Herald.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Exhibitors Herald.|