|Elevation||8,325 ft (2,537 m) NAVD 88|
|Prominence||1,041 ft (317 m) |
|Location||Grant County, Oregon, U.S.|
|Parent range||Elkhorn Crest of the southern Blue Mountains|
|Topo map||USGS Mount Ireland|
Mount Ireland is a mountain in Grant County of the U.S. state of Oregon. It is about 5 miles (8 km) east-northeast of Granite, Oregon. It is the second highest peak in the Blue Mountains at 8,325 feet (2,537 m) after Strawberry Mountain, and Oregon's 71st highest peak. For a period of several years, this mountain peak was referred to as Bald Mountain but in 1975, it was changed to Ireland Mountain before formally becoming known as Mount Ireland. The name change was brought about by a cooperative effort of local citizens and the US Forest Service to honor Henry Ireland, a forest supervisor for many years, who had died in 1916.
Several gold mining claims were established in the area and are still identifiable on local forest maps. Some are still patented while others have long been abandoned.
Mount Ireland is located in the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest and outdoor enthusiasts are welcome to hike the Mt. Ireland Lookout Trail #1604 which is open Summer and Fall. Though the trail is ranked as "more difficult", there are no restrictions. The trail covers 3.2 miles from an elevation of 6,000 feet at the trailhead and ends at the Mt. Ireland Fire Lookout. The summit overlooks Baldy Lake on the north slope and though the mountain peak's name was changed, the small mountain lake retained its original name. The view from the summit provides an extensive panorama of the North Fork John Day Wilderness.
- "Mount Ireland, Oregon". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- "Ireland Mountain Lookout House". NGS data sheet. U.S. National Geodetic Survey. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- "Mount Ireland". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
- McArthur, Lewis A.; Lewis L McArthur (2003). Oregon Geographic Names. Portland, OR: Oregon Historical Society Press. ISBN 978-0875952789.
- "Results - nearest recorded localities to 44° 51' 32" N,118° 19' 40" W". Mindat. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
- "Mount Ireland". SummitPost.org. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
- "Baldy Lake". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
|This Grant County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|