Mount Loftus in Goresbridge, Co Kilkenny is a period property on 53 acres. The main house contains six-bedrooms and it also has an extensive range of outbuildings. The present owners are horse trainers and immersed in the busy country life of the area. When they bought the property they completely refurbished the 11 stone-built stables and also created a range of guest accommodation for staff and visitors. As well as a gate lodge, there is a guest apartment - attached, but separate from the main house - an attractive looking coach-house and an apartment over one of the stables.
A splendid set of entrance gates by William Turner of Stephen's Green can be seen on approach to the house.
The house is impressive, it started out as the staff wing of an infinitely grander property. The original Mount Loftus was built in 1750 by the first Viscount Loftus. In 1906, that house was demolished and a more modest, although still grand house was built in its place. It was destroyed by fire in 1934 but the servants' wing was saved and was built up to become the present house.
At the back of the house a set of granite steps, punctuated by pillars but now leading nowhere, are ghostly reminders of the property's past. Other grand features include a magnificent walled garden which has been redesigned by Irish landscape gardener Angela Jupe. There are a variety of stone outbuildings dotted around the land in varying states of repair and there is even one in the walled garden - this time a most unusual apple store.
The house is very bright with uninterrupted views over the Barrow Valley as well as towards the Blackstairs mountains.
- Memoir of Bettina Grattan-Bellew on Mount Loftus - http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/what-s-on/arts-culture-entertainment/mount-1-4080270
- National Library of Ireland, Grattan-Bellew & Loftus Wedding at Mount Loftus - https://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/8245942081/in/photostream/
- National Inventory of Architectural Heritage - http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=KK®no=12402503
- Irish Times, Homes & Property - http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/kilkenny-estate-gets-season-moving-1.300933
- Angela Jupe Garden Designer - http://www.angelajupe.ie/the-owner.html
- Open Day at Mount Loftus in aid of Kilkenny Sub Aqua Club - http://kclr96fm.com/media/2015/07/image13.jpg
- Dylan Vaughan Photography - Mount Lotus Photos - http://dylanvaughan.photoshelter.com/search?I_DSC=Mount+Loftus&I_SDATE%5BMM%5D=&I_SDATE%5BDD%5D=DD&I_SDATE%5BYYYY%5D=YYYY&I_EDATE%5BMM%5D=&I_EDATE%5BDD%5D=DD&I_EDATE%5BYYYY%5D=YYYY&I_CITY=&I_STATE=&I_COUNTRY_ISO=&I_ORIENTATION=&I_IS_RELEASED=&I_IS_PRELEASED=&_CB_I_PR=t&_CB_I_PU=t&_CB_I_RF=t&_CB_I_RM=t&I_SORT=RANK&I_DSC_AND=t&V_ID=&G_ID=&C_ID=&_ACT=search