|The Wind in the Willows character|
|First appearance||The Wind in the Willows|
|Created by||Kenneth Grahame|
|Portrayed by||Peter Harryson (stage adaptation)|
|Voiced by||Eric Blore (1949 film)|
David Jason (1983 film, 1984 TV series)
Charles Nelson Reilly (1987 film)
Rik Mayall (1995 film, 1996 sequel)
|Occupation||Motor car driver|
Mr. Toad, of Toad Hall, is one of the main characters in the 1908 novel The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame, and also the title character of the 1929 A. A. Milne play Toad of Toad Hall based on the book.
The inspiration for Mr. Toad's wayward mischievousness and boastfulness was Kenneth Grahame's only child Alastair: a family friend, Constance Smedley, overheard Grahame telling Alastair the exploits of Toad as a bedtime story, and noted that "Alastair's own tendency to exult in his exploits was gently satirized in Mr. Toad". Colonel Francis Cecil Ricardo (1852–1924), the first owner of a car in Cookham in Berkshire, where Grahame wrote the books is also thought to have been an influence. Other suggestions include Walter Cunliffe, 1st Baron Cunliffe.
Actors who have played Mr. Toad
- Eric Blore - The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
- David Jason - The Wind in the Willows (1983 film)
- Charles Nelson Reilly - The Wind in the Willows (1987 film)
- Rik Mayall - The Wind in the Willows (1995 film)
- Terry Jones - The Wind in the Willows (1996 film)
- Matt Lucas - The Wind in the Willows (2006 film)
- Peter Harryson - on stage.
References in other media
The first story arc of the Batman and Robin comic book by Grant Morrison features a villainous character with the name and appearance of Mr. Toad. After Batman and Robin interrogate Toad, he is revealed to be in cahoots with Pyg.
- Mattanah, Jonathan (2009). "A Contemporary Psychological Understanding of Mr. Toad". In Horne, Jackie C.; White, Donna R. (eds.). Kenneth Grahame's The Wind in the Willows: A Children's Classic at 100. Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press. pp. 93–94. ISBN 9780810872592.
- Johnson, Andrew (22 October 2011). "Is this the real Mr Toad?". The Independent. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949)". IMDB. Retrieved 2009-02-16.
- "The Wind in the Willows (1983/I) (TV)". IMDB. Retrieved 2009-02-16.
- "The Wind in the Willows (1987) (TV)". IMDB. Retrieved 2009-02-16.
- "The Wind in the Willows (1995) (TV)". IMDB. Retrieved 2009-02-16.
- "The Wind in the Willows (1996)". IMDB. Retrieved 2009-02-16.
- "The Wind in the Willows (2006) (TV)". IMDB. Retrieved 2009-02-16.
- "Aftonbladet nöje: Sista kvällen som padda". wwwc.aftonbladet.se (in Swedish). Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- Grant Morrison (w), Frank Quitely (a), Alex Sinclair (col), Pat Brosseau (let), Dan DiDio (ed). "Batman Reborn, Part One: Domino Effect" Batman and Robin 1 (August 2009)