|Original author(s)||James Coyle|
1.11 / Nov 6 2015
1.12 Alpha 32 / May 4 2017
|Operating system||DOS, Windows, OS/2, OS X, Linux|
|Platform||IA_32, x86-64, ARM|
Mystic BBS is a bulletin board system software program that began in 1995 and was first released to the public in 1997 under the MS-DOS platform. It has since been ported to Microsoft Windows, OS/2, OS X, and Linux (Intel and ARM based systems such as the Raspberry Pi).
Some of the more notable capabilities of Mystic BBS include:
- Integrated Telnet, SSH, FTP, POP3, SMTP, NNTP, BINKP servers
- Full 5D compliant BSO mailer and tosser, including BINKP and FTP mailer
- Built in AreaFix and FileFix functionality and full fileecho support.
- Integrated QWK and QWKE networking via FTP
- Proprietary scripting language called Mystic Programming Language (MPL).
- Embedded PYTHON programming language
- DOS CP437 and UTF8 character translations
- Dynamic menus including menu editor, and fully customizable prompts.
- Multiple user-selectable themes.
- DOOR32 support in addition to various DOS-type door formats.
- Automatic random ANSI display (i.e. ansi.ans, ansi.an1, ansi.an2, etc. would display randomly).
- A fully featured ACS (access control system) and MCI display codes
- Highly integrated with ANSI graphics including full screen editor, lightbar menus, lightbar file listings and message reading.
- Advanced, feature-rich JAM message base system with QWK/QWKE offline mail.
- Multiple platform distributions available including Windows, OS X, Linux and ARM Linux (Raspberry Pi, ODROID, etc)
A more complete list of capabilities can be found at http://www.mysticbbs.com/features.html
Attracted to the flexibility and potential that the scripting language provides, a number groups, such as ACiDic BBS modding, Cyberia, Demonic, DoRE, Vanguard, wOE!mODDING and Wicked formed for the sole purpose of writing BBS mods for SysOps who run Mystic.
Software & Configuration
- Interview with g00r00 (reprint: wOEzine, December 1998)
Bulletin Board Systems
Here's a small selection of BBS that currently use Mystic software (alphabetical by BBS name):
- Agency BBS (New Zealand BBS, run by Avon since '13)
- Another F-ing BBS (Anotherbbs.bbsindex.com , Run by Gary Crunk since January '17)
- Black Thursday BBS (Run by skatter since the late '90s)
-  Central Ontario Remote BBS
- Clutch BBS (Originally launched in `95)
- Cyberia BBS telnet to cyberia.darktech.org
- Datanet BBS Melbourne, Australia SysOp: rEApZ
- Distortion BBS
- Error 404 BBS (Located in Perrysburg Ohio ran by Solaris since '14)
- flupH BBS Survnet *Survival & Self reliance Hq* Blocktronic member board
- Leisure Time BBS (Located in New Baden, IL, USA)
- Misery BBS (run by netsurge - home of the mystic bbs php library]
- Mythology BBS Originally launched in '94
- Necronomicon BBS (Originally started on Amiga CNet. Run by Necromaster. Home of RetroNet)
- Never Never Land BBS (419 area code oldest bbs since '89)
- Piranha BBS (<ACiD> board run by caphood, since '95)
- Sinner's Haven II (Originally Created in '89 telegard, '92 OBV/2, recreated in '13 under Mystic)
- The Vortex BBS 864s longest running BBS created in 1996.
- X-TReMe BBS (Located in Belgium, since '10)
- The Nut Asylum (XTCBOX) BBS
- THE VOiD BBS (Located in Troy, Ohio ran by Terra-X)
- Lunatic Fringe (Located in Vancouver, WA)
- The Zone BBS (Located in Lorain, Ohio)
|This network-related software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|