Cover art featuring Kobe Bryant
|Release date(s)||PS3, Xbox 360, PSP, PS2
|Mode(s)||Single player, multiplayer|
NBA 2K10 is a basketball video game based on the National Basketball Association developed by Visual Concepts and published by 2K Sports. It was released on October 6, 2009 on Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and PSP and on October 12, 2009 on Windows. It was released on Wii on November 9, 2009 in North America. It was released in Europe on November 27. Kobe Bryant is the cover athlete of the game. The game is the first PSP and Wii release of the NBA 2K series, and the first on a Nintendo system since NBA 2K3 for the GameCube. The Wii version, while containing version-specific controls and nuances, is a general port of the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions - including all the modes (online and offline) of the current-gen iterations. The PSP release is essentially a port of the PlayStation 2 version, though lacking online play. Kanye West, Twista, Pitbull (rapper) , The Game (rapper) , David Banner & Asher Roth appear in the video game
- NBA Today - Real world match-ups, news and stats are automatically streamed right into the game. As said on page NBA 2K this feature is not available to the PlayStation 2 system.
- My Player Mode - Players can create their own basketball player and guide him through his career. Starting as a drafted or undrafted rookie in the Summer Circuit, players will have to work their way up into an NBA team’s training camp, or in the D-League. Again My Player mode feature was not added to the PlayStation 2 version of this game.
- Signature Play - New signature player styles, tendencies, dribble packages, dunk packages, facial expressions, and team rituals, such as the Cleveland Cavaliers photo shoot, LeBron James' chalk toss, Dwyane Wade's pull-ups on rim, Vince Carter kissing the rim while pulling himself up on the net, and Kevin Garnett's fist pump, as well as specialty jerseys. These features are not available on the PlayStation 2 version.
- Reworked Gameplay - New easy-to-use dribbling and post game controls and the new stamina system.
- Deeper Association Mode - The Association Mode now incorporates the NBA Development League, the ability to control all 30 NBA teams at once, restricted free agency, real-time practice, an all-new player progression system, and many other enhancements.
- Intense Defense - New defensive controls that allow players to shadow their opponent's moves, deny position off-ball, and select how they want to contest shots.
- Improved Create-A-Player Mode - Players can now customize their player's facial styles, tattoos, and shoes. Also included are new dunk packages, dribble packages, signature leaners, floaters and post moves. This feature is also not added to version to PlayStation 2.
- Save & Quit Current Game - A new gameplay feature that allows users to save a game right where they are and come back to it later to the point where they saved it.
NBA 2K10: Anniversary Edition
On June 1, 2009, 2K Sports announced NBA 2K10: Anniversary Edition to celebrate 10 years of the NBA 2K franchise, and the milestone of having sold two million units of NBA 2K9 worldwide. NBA 2K10: Anniversary Edition camepackaged in a specially designed 2K Sports locker configured for game storage, and included a Kobe Bryant figurine and poster, along with a commemorative video looking back on 10 years of the NBA 2K franchise and its past cover athletes. Gamers with Xbox Live and PlayStation Network membership also gained exclusive access to an online lobby - the Gold Room - where celebrities and other VIP members will go to play. The Anniversary Edition was limited to 30,000 copies. Each Anniversary Edition locker was individually numbered.
NBA 2K10 Draft Combine
The NBA 2K10 Draft Combine is a downloadable content game for the Xbox Live Arcade (400 Microsoft Points) and PlayStation Network ($4.99). It was released on August 26, 2009 on the Xbox Live Arcade and on September 3, 2009 on the PlayStation Network. The game allows users to create a player and let that player complete drills and games in a pre-NBA draft camp to increase their draft stock. Users are able to upload their player to the 2K servers to use in the NBA 2K10 My Player mode. Derrick Rose was announced as the cover athlete for Draft Combine on August 11, 2009.
On August 9, 2009, the following songs were announced to appear on the NBA 2K10 soundtrack.
NBA 2K10 has been met with generally favorable reviews, including a Metacritic score of 82 out of 100 for the Xbox 360 edition and an 83 out of 100 for PlayStation 3 edition. GamePro scored it with a 4.5 out of 5, citing strong visuals and presentation in addition to an in depth "Association mode". G4TV awarded it a 4 out of 5.
A common source of complaints among reviewers, however, are apparent performance problems with the game. Several reviewers have cited frame rate drops of varying frequency among all versions of the game, however on November 6, 2009 a patch was released on the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions in an attempt to fix various problems in the game including the frame rate problem. According to IGN, the Xbox 360 seems to be affected more than other platforms while the PC seems to be the least affected. 1UP awarded NBA 2K10 a B- citing this and other flaws including online mode issues, cumbersome/difficult menus - a change which IGN praised NBA 2K10 for - and a lackluster A.I. The Wii version of the game was heavily criticized for its poor graphics and broken motion controls. IGN gave the Wii version 6.5 out of 10 saying "it looks bad, but it controls worse with the Wiimote."  Cheat Code Central also criticized the Wii motion controls saying "even simple tasks like shooting are a total mirage." 
- "NBA 2K10 Homepage". Retrieved 2009-09-09.
- 2K Sports Signs 11-time NBA All-Star Kobe Bryant as Cover Athlete for WNBA 2K10
- "Wiiview: NBA 2K10". TheSportsGamer.com. Retrieved November 17, 2009.
- "NBA Week 2009: Handheld Hands-on". TheSportsGamer.com. Retrieved November 17, 2009.
- NBA Developer Insights
- 2K Sports Announces NBA 2K10: Anniversary Edition
- "IGN: NBA 2K10 Draft Combine". Retrieved 2009-09-09.
- "2K Sports Announces NBA 2K10: Draft Combine". Retrieved 2009-09-09.
- "Derrick Rose Gets Draft Combine Cover".
- The NBA 2K10 Soundtrack
- "NBA 2K10 (PS3)". Metacritic. Retrieved October 9, 2009.
- "NBA 2K10 (Xbox 360)". Metacritic. Retrieved October 9, 2009.
- "NBA 2K10 Review". 1UP.com. Retrieved October 10, 2009.
- "Review: NBA 2K10 (Xbox 360)". GamePro. Archived from the original on 2010-08-08. Retrieved October 10, 2009.
- "NBA 2K10 Review". IGN. Retrieved October 10, 2009.
- "NBA 2K10 for Xbox 360". G4TV. Retrieved October 10, 2009.
- "NBA 2K10 Review: Ball, You — Man!". Kotaku. Retrieved October 11, 2009.
- NBA 2K10 official website
- NBA 2K10 at IGN
- NBA 2K10: Draft Combine at IGN
- NBA 2K10: Anniversary Edition