New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||West Trenton, New Jersey, United States|
Mitchell A. Livingston President & Chief Executive Officer
|Revenue||US$ 2.175 billion|
Number of employees
NJM Insurance (New Jersey Manufacturers), headquartered in the West Trenton section of Ewing Township, Mercer County, New Jersey, United States, offers personal auto, commercial auto, workers' compensation, homeowners, and umbrella insurance. The company was formed in 1913 by a group of factory owners seeking workers' compensation coverage. NJM has grown to provide insurance to more than 850,000 policyholders living in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
NJM, originally known as New Jersey Manufacturers Casualty Insurance Company, formed as a workers’ compensation insurance company during the early 1900s, when industrialization in America was at its peak. The Company grew, expanding to auto insurance soon after being established in 1913.
In 1921, New Jersey Manufacturers Association Fire Insurance Company was established by NJM to cover property loss, commercial auto accidents, private automobiles, as well as homes. This involved NJM in multiple lines of insurance. In 1951, the Company changed its name to New Jersey Manufacturers Indemnity Insurance Company, which combined auto bodily injury and property loss into one.
The Indemnity Insurance Company was combined with the Casualty Insurance Company in 1965 to form today's New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company.
NJM’s main office has been in West Trenton, New Jersey, since 1966. Personal Lines and Commercial Lines Underwriting, General Claims and Medical Services Administration are headquartered there, as are most support services for Company operations. NJM has had offices in North Jersey since the 1950s, and the Company's North Jersey branch has been in Parsippany since 1996. The South Jersey branch opened in Hammonton in 2000, providing customer service, claims, and sales operations for the company.
In 2015, American soccer player Carli Lloyd was announced as NJM's spokesperson.
In 2018, NJM expanded its services to Pennsylvania residents.
Lines of business
The Company originally formed to provide workers' compensation insurance.
NJM also provides homeowners, umbrella, and commercial auto insurance.
The Company owns three insurance subsidiaries. The oldest subsidiary is New Jersey Re-Insurance Company (NJRe), which started writing policies in 1978 and currently provides workers' compensation, personal auto, and homeowners coverages, as well as umbrella insurance.
The other two insurance subsidiaries were formed in 1999 to write coverage in the assigned risk markets – New Jersey Casualty Insurance Company for workers’ compensation and New Jersey Indemnity Insurance Company for personal auto.
Financial strength and service ratings
- A.M. Best Company financial strength rating: A+ (Superior rating). Only 9.2% of rated insurance carriers have achieved this ranking.
- NJM has consistently received favorable ratings from A.M. Best since it was first recognized by the company in 1922. NJM's Best rating has been “A” or better in each and every year except for a "C" rating in 1933.
- NJM generated zero valid complaints in 2006, 2010, 2012, and 2013, according to the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance. In the most recent report, covering 2017, NJM had one of the best scores of all carriers insuring at least 100,000 autos.
- "NJM Insurance - NJM History". Njm.com. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "NJM". J.D. Power. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "NJM Insurance: Celebrating a Century of Service" (PDF). Njbia.org. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "NJM Insurance sends $55 million back to policyholders with the help of Carli Lloyd". Trentonian.com. 2015-11-20. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- Martin Griff (2014-12-05). "PHOTOS: NJM Insurance completes mailing of 425,000 auto dividend checks". NJ.com. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "World Cup star Carli Lloyd is newest face of NJM Insurance". NJ.com. Retrieved 2018-08-23.
- "NJ insurer stretches into Pa. market" (PDF).
- "NJM to Offer Motorcycle, ATV Coverage in New Jersey". Insurancejournal.com. 2016-05-16. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company - About Us". Njm.com. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- 2015 Best’s Insurance Reports – Property/Casualty.
- Gorskt, Dennts. "Standing the Test of Time," Best's Review, July 2010.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on November 14, 2014. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- "2015 Auto Insurance Consumer Information Report" (PDF). State.nj.us. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "2017 Auto Insurance Consumer Information Report" (PDF).