Nancy Alvarez (psychologist)
|Born||10 October 1951 (age 65)
|Occupation||Talk show host
Nancy Álvarez (born 1951) is a Dominican singer, television personality, and licensed clinical psychologist, sexologist, and family therapist. She is best known for hosting the talk show ¿Quién Tiene La Razón? (Who's Right?), where she helped counsel families and couples with their interpersonal problems. Her singing career began in the 1970s and resumed in the 2000s.
||This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
By the 1980s, following her studies, she began a new career a television producer and host, specializing in personal and family relationships and sex therapy. Among the number of programs she produced was Solo para Adultos (Only for Adults) (1985–89) and the section Prohibido (Forbidden) which, for four years, was a part of the show 100 Grados (100 Degrees). Her other productions included the educational program Bloque de Fuego (Fire Block) for which she received several awards, Nancy en Especial and El Alma Desnuda de los Famosos (The Naked Soul of Celebrities). Her most recent program, ¿Quién Tiene La Razón? was broadcast by Univision and produced by Venevisión International.
Álvarez is also a writer, frequently contributing to several newspapers in Santo Domingo and Colombia. She started writing for El Nacional in 1995, subsequently contributing articles to Listín Diario and Ultima Hora. In 1997, she began writing a column for Hoy and El Nacional. She has also served as vice-president of the Center of Clinical and Industrial Psychology, is president of Psychology and Sexuality Counselors, Inc., and has devoted time to private counseling.
In 2005, she decided to return to the musical stage, without leaving her career as a sexologist, and thus created a unique performance, educating her audience in matters of sex and, at the same time, performing related songs. She started presenting these stand-up musical performances in Puerto Rico and the shows have continued to be presented throughout the world, receiving highly positive reviews in New York, Miami, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. Her partner in the show is the Puerto Rican singer and composer Lou Briel, performing as singer and musical director. The most recent title for the show was Sólo para Hombres... y también para Mujeres.
In 2008, she participated as one of the guest speakers in the motivational conference, Puedes Llegar, a project created by Alberto Sardinas. In 2009, she underwent multiple plastic surgery procedures.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Nancy Álvarez has received a number of degrees throughout her career:
- Licensed in Clinical Psychology from the Pedro Henríquez Ureña University in Santo Domingo.
- Master's degree in Sexual and Couples Therapy from APEC University in Santo Domingo.
- Master's degree in PNL, certified by INLPTA from San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Post-graduate in Human sexuality from the American Academy of Clinical Sexologists, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- Trained as a Regression therapist in past lives with Brian Weiss and Dr. Roger Woolger.
- Hypnotherapy, Wellness and Life Enhancement Training Center, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- Hypnotherapy and Clinical Hypnosis from the Hypnotherapy Center of Miami, Florida.
- Note: to be distinguished from the career of another Nancy Álvarez, who sang for Cuba's Adolfo Pichardo - see Leonardo Acosta: Raices del jazz latino: Un siglo de jazz en Cuba (2001) page 234, "La Orquesta Juvenil actuó fundamentalmente en Radio Progreso, fue dirigida por el pianista y arreglista Adolfo Pichardo y tuvo como cantante a Nancy Álvarez. El personal de esta jazzband, algunos de cuyos integrantes serían consagrados ..."
- Nancy Álvarez satisfecha con su nuevo “look” at the Wayback Machine (archived 9 June 2009). Sabordominicano.com (24 May 2009). Retrieved on 2012-12-26.