Gibbs at the LBJ Presidential Library, September 20, 2012
|Born||Nancy Reid Gibbs
January 25, 1960
New York City, New York
|Occupation||American Essayist, Editor|
Nancy Reid Gibbs (born January 25, 1960) is an American essayist and managing editor for Time magazine, a best-selling author and commentator on politics and values in the United States. She is the co-author with Michael Duffy of The New York Times Bestsellers The Preacher and the Presidents; Billy Graham in the White House (2007) and The Presidents Club: Inside the World's Most Exclusive Fraternity (2012).
Life and career
Gibbs was born in New York, the daughter of Janet (née Stang), who worked at Friends Seminary, and Howard Glenn Gibbs, who was the associate national director for the Boys Clubs of America. She graduated from Yale University in 1982, summa cum laude, with honors in history. She studied at New College, Oxford as a Marshall Scholar (M.A. in Politics, Philosophy and Economics).
She joined TIME in 1985 as a part-time fact checker in the International section. She became a writer in 1988 and has written more than 100 cover stories, including the black-bordered special issue on the September 11 attacks, which won a National Magazine Award in 2002. The Chicago Tribune named her one of the ten best magazine writers in the country in 2003; her articles are included in the Princeton Anthology of Writing, Best American Crime Writing 2004, Best American Political Writing 2005 and TIME: 85 years of Great Writing. She has been a frequent guest on radio and television talk shows, including the Today Show, Good Morning America, Charlie Rose, and a guest essayist on the NewsHour with Jim Lehrer.
Awards and honors
- TIME - If You Want to Humble An Empire by Nancy Gibbs
- PBS Online, The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer - aired on August 3, 2006
- PBS Online, The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer - aired on May 28, 2008
- Maza, Erik (17 September 2013). "Nancy Gibbs Named Time's Managing Editor". WWD. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Ron Charles (May 15, 2013). "Timothy Egan wins Chautauqua Prize for "Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher"". Washington Post. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- Pompeo, Joe (December 5, 2013). "Her 'Time'". Capital New York (New York: Allbritton Communications).
- C-SPAN Q&A interview with Gibbs and Michael Duffy about The Presidents Club: Inside the World's Most Exclusive Fraternity, May 13, 2012