She has won individual artist's grants, from the Massachusetts Arts Council, the Greater Columbus Arts Council, and the Ohio Arts Council. She was a Senior Fulbright Fellow, and taught at Masaryk University . She has taught at the University of Pittsburgh, Centre College, and Ohio State University.
Her work appeared in Antioch Review, Alaska Quarterly Review, Black Warrior Review, Story Quarterly, and Wind. She is the former fiction editor of Kenyon Review and series editor for the Flannery O'Connor award. She lives in Columbus, Ohio.
- two National Endowment for the Arts grants
- 1990 Flannery O'Connor Award for Short Fiction, for The People I Know
- "Travel" Smoke Long Quarterly
- The Metal Shredders BlueHen Books (2002) ISBN 978-0-399-14922-1
- Lucky Strike Unbridled Books (2005) ISBN 978-1-932961-04-1
- "After Lunch" Prairie Schooner Winter 2007
- The People I Know University of Georgia Press, 2009, ISBN 978-0-8203-3420-2