The Nation of Ulysses discography
|Nation of Ulysses discography|
Nation of Ulysses was a Washington, D.C.-based band formed in 1988, consisting of Ian Svenonius, James Canty, Steve Gamboa, Steve Kroner, and Tim Green. During the Nation of Ulysses' four years of activity, they released only two full-length albums: 13-Point Program to Destroy America in 1991 and Plays Pretty for Baby in 1992, both released on Dischord Records. After releasing Plays Pretty for Baby, the band began recording a third full-length album, but Steve Kroner separated from the band before recording was completed. The remaining quartet continued to record, but the group eventually dissolved before the record's completion. In 2000, six songs from those sessions, in addition to four new tracks recorded live, were compiled and released posthumously as The Embassy Tapes.
In addition to their three-full-length albums, the Nation of Ulysses released two vinyl EPs. The first, a self-titled EP, was the band's first official release, but went out of print when the three tracks from it were included in 13-Point Program to Destroy America. Three different tracks were released in 1992 under the title The Birth of the Ulysses Aesthetic (the synthesis of speed and transformation). The band were also featured in a number of compilation albums on a variety of record labels.
Year Title Other 1991 13-Point Program to Destroy America
- Label: Dischord Records (Dischord #57)
- Released: July 1, 1991
- Debut studio album.
1992 Plays Pretty for Baby
- Label: Dischord Records (Dischord #71)
- Released: October 6, 1992
2000 The Embassy Tapes
- Label: Dischord Records (Dischord #124)
- Released: October 24, 2000
- Posthumous release.
- Collection of six songs recorded in September 1992 and four live performances recorded after.
Year Title Other 1990 Nation of Ulysses
- Label: Dischord Records (Dischord #46½) and K Records
- First official release, limited print.
- All three tracks also appear on the CD version of 13-Point Program to Destroy America.
1992 The Birth of the Ulysses Aesthetic
(the synthesis of speed and transformation)
- Label: Dischord Records (Dischord #62)
- Released: March 1, 1992
- Limited print.
- All three tracks also appear on Plays Pretty for Baby.
Appearances on compilations
Year Title Track(s) Label Other 1992 International Pop Underground Convention
K Records 1993 Fear of Smell
"Dig the Ulysses Mad Pad Scene"
Vermiform Records Eight Songs for Greg Sage and The Wipers
Tim Kerr Records 1994 The Machines: Simple Machines 7"s (1990–1993)
Simple Machines 1996 Kill Rock Stars
"N.O.U. Cooking with Gas"
Kill Rock Stars
- "The Nation of Ulysses". Allmusic. Retrieved 2007-11-27.
- "Nation of Ulysses –- Discography". Southern Records. Retrieved 2007-11-27.