National Conference on Crimes Against Children
The National Conference on Crimes Against Children held in Washington, D.C. in 1993 and 1994 was noted for its impact on judicial, prosecutorial, educational, and legislative issues. The conference was one of the first bi-partisan supported conferences that involved three presidential administrations, and more than three hundred national experts on the sexual exploitation of children, gangs, and trafficking of children.
The 1993 conference focus was The Sexual Exploitation of Children: Creating an Investigative and Research Agenda for the 21st Century. The 1994 conference focus was "The Physical and Sexual Exploitation of Children: Evolving Strategies & Challenges to Research, Investigation and Prosecution".
The conference founder and director was Randel (Randy) H. Skinner, a consultant to federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies. Skinner continues his work in this arena in over forty states with a major emphasis in Georgia, California, Mississippi (historic civil rights cases) and Texas.
The conference included noted speakers from the Reagan, Bush, and Clinton administrations, and nationally recognized scholars on child advocacy. The conferences were also instrumental in the advocacy of the Jacob Wetterling Crimes Against Children Sex Offender Registration Act which passed in 1994.
In 1989, Skinner coordinated a group of fifteen concerned law enforcement agencies from across Georgia, who met to explore the connection between white supremacist groups and the increase in crimes against African American youth. They also explored the increase in aberrant religious belief systems tied to familial homicides and the use of Santeria and Palo Mayombe in drug trafficking cases. This collaborative work developed into an educational component used to train law enforcement agencies nationwide throughout the 1990s.
Skinner, concerned about the amount of violence against children, notably the increase in inner-city gang violence across the nation; increase in trafficking of children and rise in the sexual exploitation of children, decided to bring together the leading authorities on prosecution, investigation, and public policy to combat crimes against children. This led to the formation of the 1993 and 1994 Conference on Crimes Against Children.
In 1995, the focus turned to crimes against children across Mississippi and California, leading to work in both those states with national experts to increase the protection of Children. In Mississippi, Skinner traveled in 1996 – 1999 over 100,000 miles expanding his work on historic civil rights cases whose murders were unsolved. Skinner worked with statewide groups on racial reconciliation and restoration calling for justice in unsolved cases. By 1999, over twelve civil rights murder cases were solved with convictions, led by courageous prosecutors.
The conference speakers included United States Attorney General Ed Meese and nationally known advocate Miss America Marilyn Van Derber. Some of the noted scholars in the field of child advocacy included Dr. Ann Burgess Ph.d, Dr. Bruce D. Perry, PH.D, Dr. Robert Kirshner, M.D., Hon. Sol Gothard, and Hon. Kathleen Kearney.
Law enforcement experts were Det. William Dworin of Los Angeles, Det. Brian Killacky and Jerry Simandl of Chicago, Florida State Attorney Larry Lawson, U.S. Customs Expert John Sullivan and Lt. Toby Tyler and Al Valdez of California. Other noted speakers included Hon. Charles B. Schudson, Hon. Gene Malpus, Lloyd deMaus, Brian Fassett, author Jason Berry, Dr. M Sharian Julian, Hon. Rob Showers, Paul Thomson, Dr. Marlene Young, Dr. Jack Enter, Ken Wooden, Hon Joy Watson among many others.
1993 Conference topics and speakers
Interviewing and Communication Techniques with the Sexually Abused Child
The Police Response and Investigation of Child Sex Abuse in Institutions
Forensic and Legal Implications of Interviewing Sexually Abused Children
The Response to Political Pressure in Child Sex Abuse Cases
The Toxic Effects of Investigating Child Sex Abuse Cases
The Law Enforcement Response to Investigative Reporters
Expert Testimony Regarding Child Sexual Abuse
Children in Court: Techniques for Direct Examination/Cross Examination
Prosecution of Child Sexual Offenders in Institutions (Day Care, etc.)
The Attorney’s Challenge the Findings of Sexual Assault and Evidentiary Exam
A Psychological Profile of Childhood Histories of Incest and Involvement in Pornography and/or Destructive Cults
The Recruitment Techniques of Destructive Cults
Problems of Dissociation, Amnesia and Multiple Personality Disorder in Assessing Survivor Accounts
Techniques on How the Sexual Perpetrator Breaks down a child’s barriers
Redefining Existing Profiles of the Child Molester
Management Strategies in Child Sexual Abuse: A Comparison of Law Enforcement, Medical and Child Protective Services
Selected State Legislation on the Sexual Abuse of Children
Gang Violence and It’s Effects on our Nations Children
Profiling Youth Susceptible to Cults, Gangs, and Neo-Nazi Movement
Targeting Professions which Attract Child Sex Offenders
Developing Guidelines and Policy for Organizations and Institutions at Risk
1994 Conference topics
″Law Enforcement and Prosecutorial Strategies″
Introduction to West Coast Gangs and Intervention - Al Valdez, Spec. Invest.
Profiling Pedophilia Activity: Victim Interviewing Insights – Det. Bill Dworin
Children in Court: The Task Force Concept for Successful Pros. - Hon. Gene Malpus
An Approach to Organized Child Abuse - Sgt. Kurt Jackson, Beaumont, Calif PD
Sting Operation Methods Using Ads and Media – Lt. Toby Tyler, California
Targeting Professions Which Attract Child Offenders - Panel: Inv. Larry Lawson, Special Agent Don Robinson, Inv. Ronnie Blasingame, Joan Pennington, Hon. Gene Malpus
Sexual Assault and Evidentiary Exams - Rob Showers, Pres. Of Natl. Law Center
The Art and Science of Forensic Interviewing Techniques - Panel: Steven Mayo - Forensics, William Dworin, Brian Killacky, Toby Tyler
Enterprising Investigative Techniques for Successful Prosecutions - Workshop by Ronnie Blasingame
Making Courts Safe for Children - Hon. Charles Schudson, Wisconsin
Street Gangs Today - Identification of Midwest Street Gangs - Jerry Simandl, Chicago
The Investigation of Interpersonal Violence Against Children - Brian Killacky, Chicago
The Use of Scientific and Psychological Testimony in Court - Hon Kathleen Kearney
Investigation of Multi-Victim/Multi-Perpetrator Child Abuse Crimes - Larry Lawson
Case Evaluation Strategies: Turning Difficult Cases - Stephen Mayor, Forensics
Gangs, A National Epidemic - Al Valdez, Jerry Simandl, Spec. Agent Don Robinson
Investigators Championing for Children - Toby Tyler, Bill Dworin, Jim Souza
Concentric Circles: Understanding Child Pornography, Child Prostitution and Ritual
Abuse Through Case Link Analysis - Jim Souza, M.ED
Sexual Assault and Evidentiary Exams - Rob Showers, Esq
Investigation and Prosecution of Child Abuse - Robert Parrish, Asst. Utah Atty. Gen.
Juvenile Prostitution: The Overlooked Form of Child Sexual Abuse - Sgt. Bryron Fassett
Panel: The Art and Science of Forensic Interviewing Techniques - Steven Mayo, Forensic Consultant, Sgt. Kurt Jackson, Det. William Dworin, Det. Brian Killacky, Sgt. Toby Tyler.
″Medical and Psychiatric Issues″
Personal Account of Childhood Sexual Abuse - Marlyn Van Derber
Psychological Profile of Adults with Repressed Childhood Memories - Ann Burgess, Ph.d.
Neurological Development of Children Raised in Psychologically Destructive Cults - Bruce Perry, Ph.d
Understanding Traumatization and Multiple Personality Victims - Jim Freisen, Ph.d.
Are We Letting People Get Away With Murder? Medical Aspects of Child Abuse - Robert Kirschner, M.D.
Are the Victims Lying? False Memory, False Science or Falsifying the Truth? Defining and Proving Child Sexual Abuse in Various Courts - Hon. Sol Gothard, J.D. MSW,
Panel: A Historical, Medical, & Psychological Profile of the Child Abuse Victims - Shari Julian, Ph.d., Ann Burgess Ph.d., and Robert Kirschner, Ph.D.
The Battle of the Backlash: Myth and Realities in Sexual Abuse of Children - Hon. Sol Gothard, JS, MSW, ACSW Court of Appelas
False Memory Issues and Mandated Reporting Laws - Sherry Quirk, Esg., Sharri Julian, Ph.d., Hon. Kathleen Kearney, Hon. Sol Gothard and Renee Rich
Treating the Ritual Abuse Victim - Randy Noblitt, Ph.d
Victims of the Female Perpetrator - Sharri Julian, Ph.d.
Concentric Circles: Understanding Child Pornography, Child Prostitution and Ritual
Abuse Through Case Link Analysis - Jim Souza, M.ED
Child Abuse Trends and the Diagnosis - Sue Hawthorn, Mississippi
Programming: Utilizing Accessing Techniques in the Evaluation & Treatment of Ritual Abuse in Victims - Randy Noblitt, Ph.d.
Youth Susceptible to Cults: A Profile- Bill Reisman, Consultant Rapha Hospital
The Use of Scientific and Psychological Testimony in Court - Hon. Kathy Kearney
Making Courts Safe for Children - Judge Charles Schudson
Panel: False Memory Issues: Attorney’s Challenging the Findings - Hon. Kathy Kearney, Sherry Quirk, Esg.
Priest Pedophilia Scandals: A Mirror of the Larger Crisis - Jason Berry, Journalist
″Child Advocacy and Legislation″
The Forgotten Child - Joan Pennington, National Center for Protective Parents
Childhood Sexual Abuse: Legislative Issues and Developments – Sherry Quirk, Esq
Legislation and Its Impact on Reducing Sexual Violence Against Women and Children – Dee Jepsen
Wake Up Call – Issues that Threaten the Very Existence of Child Advocates
The International Exploitation of Children - Paul B. Thompson, VP of World Vision
Building Effective Advocacy Organizations Influencing State Leg. – Susan Hall
Targeting Professions Which Attract Child Offenders - Panel: Inv. Larry Lawson, Spec. Agent Don Robinson, Inv. Ronnie Blasingame, Joan Pennington, Gene Malpus
Strategic Community Assistance to Victims of Physical and Sexual Abuse - Marlene Young Ph.D.
Developing and Implementing Effective State Legislation - Panel: Rob Parrish, Susan Barker Hall, Sue Hawthorn, Sherry Quirk
Building a National Communication Network - Panel: Spec. Agent Don Robinson, Robert Parrish, Sgt. Kurt Jackson, Inv. Ronnie Blasingame
Case Evaluation Strategies: Turning Around Difficult Cases - Stephen Mayo
- "Edwin Meese". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "THE AFTERMATH OF INCEST: MISS AMERICA WRITES HER MEMOIRS : Denver Nursing Star". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Ann Wolbert Burgess - Connell School of Nursing - Boston College". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Meet Dr. Bruce Perry". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "ChildTrauma Academy - Childtrauma". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Robert Kirschner, prominent forensic pathologist and human rights activist, 1940-2002". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Dr. Robert H. Kirschner, 61". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Robert H. Kirschner, 61, Dies; Medical Sleuth on Massacres". The New York Times. 18 September 2002. Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "NOFSW Honors Sol Gothard with Achievement Award – National Organization of Forensic Social Work". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Sol Gothard Lifetime Achievement Award Announced – National Organization of Forensic Social Work". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Civic Research Institute - Criminal Justice, Health, Social Services, Behavioral Health, Law". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- America, Family Court in (7 March 2011). "How To Uncover a National Scandal Part 7: Be Honorable". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "CFRC: Amy Hiles". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- Dame, Marketing Communications: Web // University of Notre. "myNotreDame - View Content". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Dee Jepsen Life Story » Dee Jepsen Life Story". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Enough Is Enough: Dee Jepsen, President Emeritus, Enough Is Enough". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "william dworin los angelos - Google Search". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Real world crashes down on Jackson's Neverland". 13 December 2003. Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Will 'Peter Pan' defense fly?". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "William H. Dworin - Preventing Child Sexual Abuse". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Law enforcement officials brush up on child abuse investigation". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- KRAFT, SCOTT (16 September 1985). "Computer Game Helps Pedophiles Woo Children for Sex". Retrieved October 19, 2016 – via LA Times.
- "Hospital To Treat Satanism". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Pontiac State Prison Still A Battleground". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "LEPC Meetings & Agenda". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Larry Lawson martin County Sheriff Dept Florida - Google Search". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- LEDGER, MARY TOOTHMAN THE. "Polk State College to Offer Bachelor's in Criminal Justice". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE INVESTIGATIONS". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Al Valdez,PhD - About Us". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Home". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on April 4, 2012. Retrieved November 25, 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on September 29, 2014. Retrieved September 29, 2014.
- Wilonsky, Robert (15 December 2009). "Dallas PD Sgt. Byron Fassett Tells His Tale of "the Forgotten Children" to Capitol Hill". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Byron Fassett - Speaker Bio". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Jason Berry Author". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "A Doctor Of Victimology Explains Katrina - Sweetness & Light". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "nonprofitchurchlaw.org". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "H. Robert Showers, Jr. « Simms Showers LLP". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Paul B. Thompson - The Appreciative Inquiry Commons". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Oral History of the Crime Victim Assistance Field". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Providing Critical Incident Stress Debriefing (CISD) to Individuals and Communities in Situational Crisis". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Jack Enter & Associates Online - Jack Enter and Associates". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Jack Enter's bio". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "California Peace Officers Association Newsletter". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "YouTube". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Child Lures© Prevention". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Exclusive: TSA frisks groom children to cooperate with sex predators, abuse expert says". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Testimony of Kenneth Wooden". Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Teen Lures Prevention - CBS News & Ken Wooden Educate College Students". Retrieved October 19, 2016.