National Cooperative Highway Research Program
NCHRP 50th Anniversary Logo
|Founder(s)||Transportation Research Board|
|Key people||Crawford F. Jencks|
|Location||Washington, D.C., United States|
The National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) conducts research in problem areas that affect highway planning, design, construction, operation, and maintenance in the United States. Spearheaded by the Transportation Research Board (TRB), it is jointly supported federal agencies, state departments of transportation, and other nonprofit organizations.
The National Cooperative Highway Research Program was established in 1962 under TRB with a view to promote research on serious problems related to highway. It is sponsored by American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) and the U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). This program is funded by all the state highway and transportation departments. State departments of transportation are requested to contribute 5.5% of their planning and research funds each year. Annual NCHRP funding has been approximately $37 million in recent years.
Examples of research projects previously approved by NCHRP include:
- Barth, Matthew J. et al. (2000). Development of a Comprehensive Modal Emissions Model (PDF) (Report). Transportation Research Board. NCHRP Project 25-11; Web-Only Document 122.
- Little, Dallas N.; Amit Bhasin et al. (2006). Using Surface Energy Measurements to Select Materials for Asphalt Pavement (PDF) (Report). Transportation Research Board. NCHRP Project 9-37; Web-Only Document 104.
- Krenzke, Tom et al. (2011). Producing Transportation Data Products from the American Community Survey That Comply With Disclosure Rules (PDF) (Report). Transportation Research Board. NCHRP Project 08-79; Web-Only Document 180.
Examples of final NCHRP reports include:
- Isaac Shafran; Anne Strauss-Weider (2003). Financing and Improving Land Access to U.S. Intermodal Cargo Hubs (PDF) (Report). Transportation Research Board. NCHRP Report 497.
- Ralph D. Ellis, Jr.; Scott Amos; Ashish Kumar (2003). Illumination Guidelines for Nighttime Highway Work (PDF) (Report). Transportation Research Board. NCHRP Report 498.
A comprehensive list of NCHRP reports by publication date can be found on the TRB website.
- "National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP)". Research > Research, Technology, and Education Partnerships Overview. Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved 6 September 2012.