National Institute for Public Health and the Environment
|Rijksinstituut voor Volksgezondheid en Milieu|
|Jurisdiction||Kingdom of the Netherlands|
|Headquarters||Antonie van Leeuwenhoeklaan 9, Bilthoven|
|Parent department||Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport (Netherlands)|
The National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (Dutch: Rijksinstituut voor Volksgezondheid en Milieu or simply RIVM), is a Dutch research institute that is an independent agency of the Dutch Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport.
RIVM performs tasks to promote public health and a safe living environment by conducting research and collecting knowledge worldwide. The results are used to support the Dutch government in formulating its policy. RIVM's primary tasks are:
- policy support
- national coordination
- intervention programmes
- provision of reliable information to the general public and to professionals working in health care about infectious diseases, the environment, nutrition and safety.
RIVM is located in Bilthoven and employs over 1500 people, many of whom work in multidisciplinary fields.
RIVM was founded in 1910 when the Central Laboratory for Public Health was created.
The present size of the institute is the result of a merger between three government institutes in 1984.
RIVM has become a large, complex organisation with many different international links and a range of activities.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, the RIVM was tasked with oversight of the disease and how the Dutch government would combat it. They RIVM instituted weekly counts of infected people within the nation's borders. The director of the Infectious Disease Control bureau, Jaap van Dissel, was charged with disease reduction efforts.
- the PCR test
- the loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) test
- the antigen test
- the serological test
- the breathalyzer test
On 13 August 2021, government announced with RIVM approval that "From 30 August social distancing will no longer be required at secondary vocational schools (MBOs), higher professional education institutions (HBOs) and universities."
The RIVM organisation consists of three domains with specific knowledge and expertise: Infectious Diseases and Vaccinology (Centre for Infectious Disease Control), Environment and Safety (including environmental incident service), Public Health and Health Services (including food and food safety).
Notes and references
- Search of the Dutch Research Data Base (NOD)
- About RIVM Archived 2007-02-21 at the Wayback Machine
- The Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN) (at Columbia University, New York, USA)
- "Covid-19 hospital numbers down by 27% in last week: RIVM". DutchNews. 2 June 2021.
- "Testing for COVID-19". Rijksinstituut voor Volksgezondheid en Milieu. 15 July 2021.
- https://www.rivm.nl/en/coronavirus-covid-19/testing-for-covid-19/pcr-test. Missing or empty
- https://www.rivm.nl/en/coronavirus-covid-19/testing-for-covid-19/antigen-test. Missing or empty
- https://www.rivm.nl/en/coronavirus-covid-19/testing-for-covid-19/serological-test. Missing or empty
- "No restrictions for on-site learning but other measures against COVID-19 extended". Government of the Netherlands. 13 August 2021.
- RIVM organisation