National Police of Niger
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|National Police of Niger
Police nationale du Niger
Badge of the National Police
|Motto||Écouter, Protéger, Servir
Listen, Protect, Serve
|Governing body||Government of Niger|
|General nature||• Local civilian agency|
|Overviewed by||Direction générale de la police nationale|
|Official website (in French)|
The National police (fr. Police nationale) of Niger are one of two Police forces, previously under the control of the Armed Forces of Niger, but following the Constitution of 1999, come under the control of the Ministry of the Interior. They are responsible for security and law enforcement in urban areas, and the protection of government buildings, institutions, and through special agencies, the security of government leaders.
The National Police report to the General Directorate of National Police, headquartered in Niamey which also commanded the former National Forces for Intervention and Security (FNIS), until it was superseded by the Guard Nationale in 2010. The National Police numbered 1500 in the year of 2002. The Niger police emergency number is 17. Foreign governments have accused the National Police of being poorly trained, equipped, and often corrupt. Niger police are alleged by the United States Department of State to commonly request money in return for assistance. Victims of criminal activities in Niger are not assured of assistance from Niger police even after calling the emergency number for Niger police. The traffic police of Niger are alleged similarly for slow response. The Niger police vehicles are often condemned of lacking the basic necessities such as gasoline.
The General Directorate of the National Police (French: Direction Générale de la Police nationale) (DGPN) is the highest structure of the National Police of Niger and is headed the director-general (directeur général de la police nationale) Souley Boubacar. The General Directorate of the National Police is subdivided in 9 directorates. The directorates are:
- Directorate of the National School of the Police -- (French: Direction Ecole Nationale de la Police)
- Directorate of Financial Resources -- (French: Direction Ressources Financières)
- Directorate of Human Resources -- (French: Direction Ressources Humaines)
- Directorate of Logistics and Infrastructures -- (Direction Logistique et Infrastructures)
- Directorate of Public Security -- (French: Direction Sécurité Publique)
- Directorate of Judiciary Police -- (French: Direction Police Judiciaire)
- Division of Criminal Investigations -- (French: Division des Investigations Criminelles)
- Division of Financial and Economic Investigations -- (French: Division Des Enquêtes Financières et Economiques)
- Division of Vice and the Protection of Minors -- (French: Division des Mœurs et Protection des Mineurs)
- Division of Cybercriminality, Statistics and Analysis -- (French: Division lutte contre la cybercriminalité Statistique and Analyse)
- National Central Bureau - Interpol -- ((French: Bureau Central National - Interpol)
- Anti-Drug Center -- (French: Centre Anti‐Drogue)
- Judiciary Identity Central Service -- (French: Service Central Identité Judiciaire)
- Inter-regional Judiciary Service -- (French: Service Inter‐Régional de la Police Judiciaire)
- Directorate of Homeland Intelligence -- (French: Direction Renseignement Intérieur)
- Directorate of Protection of High Personality -- (French: Direction Protection Hautes Personnalités)
- Directorate of Studies and Technical Cooperation -- (French: Direction Etudes/Rég. Coopération Technique)
- Interpol Niger
- Official page of the National Police of Niger. Last accessed on September 18th, 2014.
- Déplacement du Directeur au Niger, Ministère des Affaires étrangères (France). Framework partnership document France - Niger (2006-2010), Ministère des Affaires étrangères (France), 2006. DOSSIER NIGER: Les forces armées nigériennes (FAN), Ministère des Affaires étrangères (France), 2003.
- Contact information for The General Directorate of National Police
- Niger. Country Reports on Human Rights Practices - 2004. Released by the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor. February 28, 2005
- Organigramme de la Police Nationale du Niger). Last accessed in 9/18/2014
- Fund for Peace, Governance Report for Nigerien institutions, 2007.
- Government of Niger: United States State Department report, 2004.
- Ministère de l'Intérieur, de la Sécurité Publique et de la Décentralisation, Presidency of Niger, 2007.
- MANUEL DE FORMATION EN DROITS DE L’HOMME POUR LA POLICE (Police Nationale Niger)[permanent dead link]. Compiled and funded by Direction Générale de la Police Nationale (Niger), Faculté des Sciences Economiques et Juridiques (FSEJ) -- Niamey, Institut Danois des Droits de l’Homme (IDDH) -- Denmark, & Agence Danoise de Développement (DANIDA) --Denmark. (2004)