National Wine Agency of Georgia
The National Wine Agency of Georgia (Georgian: ღვინის ეროვნული სააგენტო) is a legal entity of public law under the Ministry of Agriculture of Georgia that was founded in 2014 in accordance with the law on “Vine and Wine". The Agency operates in constant contact with the Ministry of Agriculture and relevant state and private companies in the field of wine making.
Main directions of activity
- Popularizing and raising awareness of Georgian wine;
- Promotion of the growth of export potential;
- Popularization of Georgian vine origination;
- Restoration of the unique and rare Georgian grape varieties;
- Creation of a vineyard register;
- Popularization of the oldest Georgian traditional methods of kvevri wine making;
- Supporting the development of wine tourism.
Responsibilities and Functions of the Agency
- Regulation of viticulture - wine making industry;
- Protection of consumer market counterfeiting products;
- Monitoring the production and planting of vine mother plantations, grafting materials and grafted seedlings;
- Technical and phytosanitary control;
- Preparation of proposals and recommendations for functionality and development of the branch;
- State control of the appellations of origin of winesand wine brands;
- Issuing of certificates of compliance and origin of alcoholic beverages of grape-origin;
- Labeling control of grape-origin alcoholic beverages;
- Interrelations with national and international organizations in the viticulture-wine making field, plus marketing and promotional activities;
- Promotion of the arrangement of alcoholic beverage tasting events, competitions, exhibitions and seminars;
- Support of Permanently Acting Degustation Committee at the Agency;
- Investigation of administrative infringements within the authority granted by law.
- "Law of Georgia "On Vine and Wine"". Telavi Wine Cellar. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- "Customs Clearance". Trade With Georgia. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- "Partners". gwa.ge. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- "Q&A Giorgi Samanishvili - Chairman of National Wine Agency". The Report Company. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Georgian winemakers ready to toast end of EU tariffs". BBC News. 28 August 2014. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- "The main activities". georgianwine.gov.ge. Retrieved 10 March 2015.