Ned Polsky (author and sociologist who wrote the 1969 book Hustlers, Beats, and Others, a book about political culture, criminology and pool hustlers. He was also known for his criticism of Norman Mailer's essay The White Negro, included with the essay in later collections of Mailer's work, and as an "insane Joyce fanatic" who memorized long passages from Finnegan's Wake.October 20, 1928– June 13, 2000) was an American
Polsky studied linguistics and literature at the University of Wisconsin, and did graduate study in sociology (but did not complete a degree) at the University of Chicago. He was for many years a professor of sociology at Stony Brook University, and served as vice president of the Society for the Study of Social Problems in 1971–1972. He was also a skilled pool player, and in his retirement became an antiquarian bookseller.
- Pagann, Christian (20 August 1967). "Decline and fall of six pockets: Hustlers, Beats, and Others (book review)". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- Curtis, C. Michael (10 August 1967). "Hustlers, Beats, and Others (book review)". Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- Erikson, Kai T. American Sociological Review, vol. 33, no. 3, 1968, pp. 460–462. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/2091925.
- Boskin, Joseph. The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, vol. 376, 1968, pp. 197–197. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/1037858.
- Roebuck, Julian. The Journal of Criminal Law, Criminology, and Police Science, vol. 60, no. 2, 1969, pp. 232–233. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/1142244.
- Lemert, Edwin M. American Journal of Sociology, vol. 73, no. 5, 1968, pp. 649–650. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/2775581.
- Cohen, Stanley. The British Journal of Criminology, vol. 8, no. 1, 1968, pp. 93–95. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/23635220.
- Menand, Louis (October 21, 2013), "The Norman Invasion", The New Yorker
- Kovach, Roger (May 27, 2008), Some Bars in Some Places.
- "Ned Polsky (1928–2000), Beat Sociologist", Lake Chapala Artists, Sombrero Books, retrieved 2019-02-22
- Past Presidents, Vice-Presidents, and Editors, Society for the Study of Social Problems, retrieved 2019-02-22
- Kahn, Robert (November 2000), "Ned Polsky (1928–2000)", Footnotes, American Sociological Association
- "Writers and Editors War Tax Protest" January 30, 1968 New York Post
|This article about an American writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|