|Born||7 March 1973|
|Occupation||research and teacher|
|Alma mater||Superior Technical School of Architecture of Madrid|
Nerea Calvillo (Madrid, 7 March 1973) is a Spanish architect who investigates the intersection between architecture, science and technology, as well as feminist studies, new materials and urban political ecology. Specialized in the research of the visual representation of air in the atmosphere, she constructs graphic diagrams for the visualization of invisible microscopic agents in the air and thus influences the improvement of air quality. This project is called "In the Air".
She studied architecture at the Superior Technical School of Architecture of Madrid (ETSAM), where she received her PhD in 2014 with outstanding cum laude with the thesis "Sensing Aeropolis". She obtained the Poiesis Fellowship from New York University. With the Fulbright scholarship, she studied in New York, graduating from MsArchAAD at Columbia University in New York.
Making extensive use of new technologies as usual work tools, C+arquitectos has been responsible for the design of numerous spaces for the exhibition of contemporary art such is the case of the Laboral Center of Art in Gijón, the Museum of Contemporary Art in Santiago de Chile, the Tabacalera Principal of the Ministry of Culture in Madrid or various headquarters of the Cervantes Institute (Spain, Serbia, etc).
The year 2012 in Madrid, she was an expert speaker presenting a conference in the annual international platform of knowledge TED xMadrid "El aire de Madrid".
In 2013 C+arquitectos was selected for FRESHLATINO 2, a selection of Ibero-American architecture offices curated by the architects Ariadna Cantís and Andrés Jaque, presenting the exhibition of the works at the Instituto Cervantes in Madrid. Since 2013 she works as a researcher in the research project funded by ESRC Citizen Sense in the sociology department of Goldsmiths University of London.
She has worked teaching in urbanNext: expanding architecture to rethink cities at the University of Alicante from 2010 to 2014, and at the Universidad Europea de Madrid.She also has been invited to teach at the Graduate School of Design at Harvard University.
Since 2014 she teaches as an assistant professor at the Center for Interdisciplinary Methodologies Social Sciences University of Warwick United Kingdom and at the architectural school AA London.
She has been director of the line of work dedicated to urban screens Media (nera) Lab in Medialab-Prado in Madrid and co-curator of Media Facades Festival Europe in 2010, and also the European project Facades Connecting Cities 2007-2013. Connecting Cities is a network of European institutions that proposes the use of digital facades and large screens for the circulation and exchange of cultural and artistic contents in the European Community.
In 2017 she was invited to participate at the I Seoul Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism in Korea with the project "Yellow Dust" produced with the help of Acción Cultural Española ACE and an ESRC IAA scholarship from the University of Warwick and the Economic and Social Research Council (United Kingdom).
In the T Magazine Spain of the New York Times, Nerea Calvillo is one of the "Influential 17. Who is in charge here, those who have marked the interior design, architecture and lifestyle of 2017. Stay with them."
In 2018, at the magazine from El País Retina,/2#, was published an article under the title "Nerea Calvillo, La mujer que juega con el viento", a cry for climate change and air quality.
In the year 2019, she showed her work at Matadero Madrid in the second edition Tentacular, Festival de Tecnologías Críticas y Aventuras Digitales.
In november 2019, again in El Pais, was publish a video - interview under the title "La mujer que convierte la contaminación en una obra de arte"
In november from the same year 2019, she participates and presents her work in the international exhibition Eco-Visionaries at the Royal Academy de Londres.
- "In the Air". www.intheair.es. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- www.mo.cz, Martin Odehnal. "On Representation in Architecture: From the Figure to the Background or Pacts to Generate Context | Nerea Calvillo". monumenttotransformation.org. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "open! | Platform for Art, Culture and the Public Domain". www.onlineopen.org. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "Espacio Público | Entrevista a Nerea Calvillo". urbanohumano.org (in Spanish). Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "Humanities Institute » Nerea Calvillo: Air scapes in the Making". dhi.ucdavis.edu. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "Nerea Calvillo". Goldsmiths, University of London. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- METALOCUS (2015-01-21). "NEREA CALVILLO". METALOCUS. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- METALOCUS (2015-01-21). "POLIVAGINA of FAN RIOTS by C+arquitectos". METALOCUS. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- admin. "Nerea Calvillo — LABoral Centro de Arte y Creación Industrial". www.laboralcentrodearte.org (in Spanish). Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- TEDx Talks (2012-10-09), Madrid's air | Nerea Calvillo | TEDxMadrid, retrieved 2018-01-01 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Calvillo, Nerea (2017-12-31). "Sensing Aeropolis" (PDF).
- "program with all the abstracts - Society for Social Studies of Science - mexico and central america". doczz.net. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "Conference Book". nomadit.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- Gordon, Eric; Mihailidis, Paul (2016-06-10). Civic Media: Technology, Design, Practice. MIT Press. ISBN 9780262034272.
- "Nerea Calvillo | University of Warwick - Academia.edu". warwick.academia.edu. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "Media Facades Festival Europe 2010 - Medialab-Prado Madrid". medialab-prado.es. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "Yellow Dust - 2017 서울도시건축비엔날레 | Seoul Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism 2017". Yellow Dust - 2017 서울도시건축비엔날레 | Seoul Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism 2017 (in Korean). Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- «Yellow Dust - 2017 서울도시건축비엔날레 | Seoul Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism 2017». Yellow Dust - 2017 서울도시건축비엔날레 | Seoul Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism 2017 (en coreano). Consultado el 22 de septiembre de 2017.
- Upricgard, Emma. "A desirable future: harnessing complexity in big data" (PDF). Making Sense of a Fuzzy World. Retrieved 22 September 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "T Magazine Spain of the New York Times Nerea Calvillo - Google Search". www.google.es. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "oxic Politics in the Social Studies of Science - Volume 48, issue 3, June 2018 - Google Search". www.google.com. Retrieved 2019-11-13.
- Liboiron, Max; Tironi, Manuel; Calvillo, Nerea (2018-06-01). "Toxic politics: Acting in a permanently polluted world". Social Studies of Science. 48 (3): 331–349. doi:10.1177/0306312718783087. ISSN 0306-3127. PMID 29963976. S2CID 49649637.
- Suárez, Mario (2018-02-22). "Nerea Calvillo: la mujer que juega con el viento". EL PAÍS RETINA (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-11-09. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "TENTACULAR". MataderoMadrid. Retrieved 2019-11-09. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Cantero, Jaime García (2019-11-07). ""Las zonas de bajas emisiones ayudan mucho". Más de 200 ciudades ya cuentan con protocolos anticontaminación". El País (in Spanish). ISSN 1134-6582. Retrieved 2019-11-09. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Royal Academy of Arts "Eco-Visionaries" Exhibition on Environmental Protection". SURFACE. 2019-08-22. Retrieved 2019-11-09. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)