|Founded||Seattle, Washington (2001)|
|Products||Mobility XE Mobile VPN software, Locality cellular network performance management software|
Number of employees
NetMotion Wireless is a privately held software company, founded in 2001 and based in Seattle, Washington. NetMotion Wireless develops software for organizations with mobile workforces, focusing on security, management and optimization of their wireless data deployments. The products allow customer organizations to maximize their return on investment in workforce automation by addressing the unique challenges introduced by wireless connectivity. The company's software is used in enterprise, government, public utilities, healthcare, public safety, insurance and other industries.
The company was formed in 2001 as a spin-off from WRQ, Inc. In 2005, wireless industry executive Bob Hunsberger became CEO. In 2006, NetMotion merged with Padcom, Inc. In September 2010 and again in 2011, the company was recognized by Inc. as one of the fastest-growing private companies in America. In September 2012, NetMotion Wireless was acquired by Clearlake Capital Group, L.P., an investment firm with $3 billion in over 70 investments across a variety of industries.
The bulk of the company's operations are located at the North American headquarters in Seattle, Washington. Three sales offices in Europe handle international sales including sales into Australia, New Zealand and several African countries.
NetMotion Wireless has an intellectual property portfolio of a dozen U.S. patents. It also has strategic alliances with cellular carriers, hardware manufacturers, software developers, system integrators and standards and certification bodies. These partners include AT&T, Avaya, Datastrip, Sybase iAnywhere, InfoExpress, Intermec, Ipelium, knk, Microsoft, Motion Computing, Motorola, OESIS OK, Palm, RSA, Scientel Wireless, Sierra Wireless, Sprint, TELELOGOS, T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless.
Mobility XE Mobile VPN
The company's flagship product is Mobility XE, a Mobile VPN designed specifically for wireless environments. As mobile field workers move in and out of wireless coverage areas and roam between networks, the product maintains and secures their data connections in order to maximize worker productivity. It also provides IT managers with the centralized control needed to manage a mobile deployment. Used by more than 2,100 organizations and more than 550,000 mobile workers, Mobility XE is recognized by Frost & Sullivan for achieving the highest market share among mobile VPNs.
Mobility XE Releases:
- Version 6.5 - Web acceleration and new policy management features for controlling access from/to specific applications and networks
- Version 6.6 - FIPS 140-2 validated encryption
- Version 7.0 - Expanded capacity of up to 15,000 concurrent device sessions and support for RSA SecurID two-factor authentication
- Version 7.1 - QoS capability for real-time applications such as VoIP
- Version 8.0 - Network Access Control and recovery from Packet loss for real-time applications
- Version 8.5 - Analytics Module and support for two-factor authentication via smart cards and X.509v3 digital certificates
- Version 9.0 - Authentication of the device as well as the user, for greater security and integration with systems management software
- Version 9.2 - Support for Windows 7 64-bit client and Windows Server 2008 R2 and additional support for FIPS 140-2
- Version 9.5 - Support for IPv6, inclusion of NSA Suite B encryption, and enhancements to the Analytics reporting server
Locality Cellular Network Performance Management Software
In May 2012, NetMotion Wireless introduced Locality cellular network performance management software, described as the first software of its kind in the industry, and the only cellular counterpart to a wired network-performance management offering. It addresses the needs of organizations that are increasingly reliant on cellular data connections to deliver applications to mobile workers in the field. Such organizations have made major investments in devices, applications and monthly service fees, yet have no tools to evaluate how those deployments are working for them and to identify and correct connection problems.
The Locality software on each mobile device gathers inventory, connection-status and location information every five seconds, and sends the accumulated data every thirty minutes to a central server for processing. Locality generates detailed maps and reports to identify the technologies in use, poor performance, and chronic connectivity problems. These can be tied to underlying causes such as signal strength, location, network saturation, older network technologies, or problems with devices and drivers. Customers can use these reports to proactively identify coverage issues, troubleshoot help desk tickets, make buying decisions based on device or network performance, compare carriers, effectively track inventory, and identify under-utilized mobile assets.
Locality software supports various network adapters for Sprint, AT&T, Verizon Wireless and Canadian carriers, as well as Sierra Wireless AirLink (ALEOS) devices, and Android devices running version 2.2 or later and equipped for cellular connectivity. Support for Apple iOS was released in Q1 of 2015.
Among the 2,500 customers of NetMotion Wireless are:
Ameren Corporation, Amica Insurance, AT&T, Beckman Coulter, Comcast, Continental Airlines, Cox Communications, Diamond Management and Technology Consultants, Grange Insurance, Hertz, JEA, Optident, Southeast Water (UK), Strack, Trican Well Service, Ltd., TSI Terminal Systems Inc., Unilever, US Foods, Windstream Communications.
Advocate Health Care, Allina Home Care, Lee Memorial Health System, Marshfield Clinic, MHMR Centers of Texas, Puget Sound Blood Center, St. Luke's Health System, St. Joseph’s Hospital (WI), Visiting Nurses of New York, Wichita Clinic.
Government and Public Safety
Bell Ambulance, Birmingham City Council (UK), City of Aurora (CO), City of Hays (KS), City of Orlando, Colorado Springs Police Department, Durham County Sheriff's Office, Florida Highway Patrol, Gallatin County (MT), Hennepin County (MN), Johnson County (KS), Mobile County (AL), Monroe County Sheriff’s Department (FL), New York State Police, Orange County Sheriff’s Department, St. James Parish (LA), City of Danville (VA), Union County Police Department (NJ), Worksafe BC.
Industry Awards and Recognition
NetMotion has been named as one of the fastest-growing wireless companies in the U.S. and has earned more than 25 industry awards, including:
- Winner of the 2012 Fierce Innovation Award in the Network Innovation | Device and Network Security category for the Mobility XE mobile VPN, and recognized as a finalist in the Network Innovation | Test and Measurement Category for Locality software
- Given the 2011 Global Frost & Sullivan Market Share Leadership Award, recognizing Mobility XE for achieving the highest market share among mobile VPNs
- Ranked on the Deloitte LLP list of the fastest growing technology, media, telecommunications, life sciences and clean technology companies in North America in 2009, 2010 and 2011.
- Recognized as one of Washington State's 100 Fastest-Growing Private Companies
- Selected as an Editors' Pick by Consumer Goods Technology magazine for improving field productivity and supply chain management
- Ranked as one of the Top 15 Largest Software Developers by the Puget Sound Business Journal
- Voted one of Washington State's 100 Best Companies to Work For
- Microsoft Gold Certified Partner for Mobility Solutions
- Motorola Enterprise Mobility Validated Solution
- Clearlake Capital Group Acquires NetMotion Wireless
- NetMotion Wireless Names New CEO, February 9, 2005 (retrieved December 28, 2012)
- "NetMotion, Padcom settle patent lawsuit with merger", RCR Wireless News, 2006-06-15.
- "Meet the 2010 Inc. 5000 | A List of America's Fastest-Growing Private Companies", September 2010
- NetMotion Wireless - Seattle,WA - The Inc. 5000
- Clearlake Capital | Firm Overview
- Company Fact Sheet
- What's New in Mobility XE 9.2, retrieved December 10, 2010.
- Strategic Alliance and Marketing Partners, retrieved December 11, 2010.
- Phifer, Lisa. "Mobile VPN: Closing the Gap", SearchMobileComputing.com, July 16, 2006.
- BioPortfolio company profile, retrieved December 10, 2010.
- CrunchBase company profile, retrieved December 10, 2010.
- Hoover's company profile, retrieved December 10, 2010.
- Product Datasheet, NetMotion Web site
- "Frost & Sullivan Lauds NetMotion Wireless Market Leadership in the Highly Competitive Mobile VPN Market"
- Release history on NetMotion Web site
- "NetMotion Brings Cross-Network Support to Wireless VoIP", VoIP Planet, 2008-05-07.
- "NetMotion Wireless Delivers Industry's First Cellular Network Performance Management Software", retrieved December 29, 2012
- "NetMotion Wireless announces first cellular network performance management software", retrieved December 29, 2012
- "NetMotion Wireless Broadens Modem Coverage for Locality Cellular Network Performance Management Software", retrieved December 29, 2012]
- "NetMotion announces availability of Locality wireless-performance solution", retrieved December 29, 2012]
- "Beyond 'five bars' - new software opens a window into cellular links", retrieved December 29, 2012
- "NetMotion Wireless Locality - Network Adapter and GPS Receiver Matrix", retrieved December 29, 2012>
- www.netmotionwireless.com, amalgamated from case studies and press releases, retrieved December 11, 2010 and updated December 29, 2012.
- NetMotion Company Backgrounder
- Fierce Innovation Awards 2012, retrieved December 28, 2012
- "Deloitte's 2009 Technology Fast 500"
- "Deloitte's 2010 Technology Fast 500", retrieved December 10, 2010
- "Deliotte's 2011 Technology Fast 500 Ranking", retrieved December 28, 2012
- "Washington's 100 Fastest-Growing Private Companies revealed", September 17, 2010 (retrieved December 10, 2010)
- Consumer Goods Technology | 2011 Editors' Pick, retrieved December 28, 2012
- "NetMotion Wireless Earns Editors' Pick by Consumer Goods Technology Magazine", retrieved December 28, 2012
- "NetMotion Wireless Ranks Top 15 Largest Software Developers"
- "NetMotion Wireless Attains Gold Certified Partner Status in Microsoft Partner Program".
- "Enterprise Mobility Validated Solutions Search, (searched/confirmed December 10, 2010)