The SC101 was a home computer networking storage product manufactured and distributed by Netgear under the Storage Central brand from around 2005 through 2010. The devices shared data stored on one or two internal disks via Ethernet links.
The two models in the Storage Central line were the Netgear SC101 and SC101T.
At least one reviewer encountered an incompatible disk drive.
The SC101 provided a block-level storage area network (SAN) interface, as opposed to file-level network-attached storage (NAS). Thus, like any SAN device, specific drivers and software must be installed on any client PC wishing to access the device. Only the Microsoft Windows family of operating systems were supported.
There was discussion of a driver for Linux in 2008. An open source driver for Linux on Google Code used the network block device technology, but because this is a block level device, the OS is responsible for creating a filesystem. Consequently, a filesystem created by Linux will not be compatible with one created by Windows.
However, a 2006 post on kerneltrap.org suggested it may be possible to use NTFS-3g on Linux. If possible, this would allow access from both Windows and Linux machines, at the expense of losing features that the proprietary file system offers, such as sharing the device access across multiple machines, as well as mirroring support.
- "Netgear SC101". Archived from the original on March 4, 2009. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- "Netgear SC101T". Archived from the original on March 6, 2009. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- "Zetera's Z-SAN(TM) technology receives acclaim as it comes to market in NETGEAR(R) product". SAN/LAN Newsletter. 23 (9). Information Gatekeepers. September 2005. pp. 11–12.
- "Netgear SC101 Storage Central Review". CNET. October 17, 2005. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- "Review: NETGEAR SC101 Storage Central". Tom's Hardware. October 11, 2005. Archived from the original on March 29, 2012. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- Andrew Tan (January 2006). "Digital Piggy Bank". HWM. p. 84. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- "Netgear storage systems". Archived from the original on January 14, 2010. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- "SC101 Mount Partition in Linux - NETGEAR Forums". September 30, 2008. Retrieved May 24, 2013. (Registration required (. ))
- "sc101-nbd - Google Code". Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- "Zetera Z-San Filesystem and Devices - Any Linux Interest?". KernelTrap. July 6, 2006. Archived from the original on July 19, 2006. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- "Netgear SC101 - PC Advisor". pcadvisor.co.uk. 2005. Retrieved 17 September 2011.
- Stapley, Will (2005). "Netgear SC101 Storage Central - Computeractive - product reviews you can trust". computeractive.co.uk. Archived from the original on 30 March 2012. Retrieved 17 September 2011.
- Wellman, Dan (7 February 2007). "Netgear SC101 Network Attached Storage for the Home". devhardware.com. Retrieved 17 September 2011.
- "Storage Central from NETGEAR breaks new ground for small businesses and home users". PC World. 23. 2005. p. 152.