Never Never Land (Pink Fairies album)
|Never Never Land|
|Studio album by Pink Fairies|
|Studio||Command Studios, London|
|Genre||Psychedelic rock, proto-punk, space rock|
|Producer||Pink Fairies, Neil Slaven|
|Pink Fairies chronology|
The group were formed when the three musicians from The Deviants, having sacked their singer and leader Mick Farren, returned from a disastrous tour of the West Coast of North America and hooked up with Twink. These musicians had previously collaborated on Twink's Think Pink prior to the tour, and during the tour Twink, Farren and Steve Peregrin Took had used The Pink Fairies Motorcycle Club and All-Star Rock and Roll Band name, taken from a story written by Jamie Mandelkau, as an umbrella for their activities, including one gig in Manchester.
Polydor Records commissioned the group to record a single, "The Snake"/"Do It", and were happy enough with the results to offer the group an album contract. A promotional film was recorded for the single on the set of Oliver!, but the single was omitted from this debut album. The b-side, "Do It", did appear but with added overdubs. "Do It" was later covered by the Henry Rollins Band on their Do It album.
The sleeve came in a printed PVC cover, with an inner gatefold sleeve depicting two different scenescapes, and a printed inner sleeve with a photograph of the band.
200 copies were also pressed on pink vinyl the same year. Initial pressings properly credited the full band as songwriters on all songs, however, Twink worked a deal with a different publisher that resulted in songwriting credits and royalties being erroneously awarded to him for "Heavenly Man", "War Girl", "Thor", and "The Dream is Just Beginning" on later pressings.
- All Songs Copyright Polydor Music Ltd.
- "Do It" (Pink Fairies) - 4:15
- "Heavenly Man" (John Alder) - 3:41
- "Say You Love Me" (Pink Fairies) - 3:48
- "War Girl" (Alder) - 4:34
- "Never Never Land" (Pink Fairies) - 6:55
- "Track One, Side Two" (Pink Fairies) - 4:41
- "Thor" (Alder) - 0:58
- "Teenage Rebel" (Pink Fairies) - 5:20
- "Uncle Harry's Last Freak-Out" (Pink Fairies) - 10:51
- "The Dream Is Just Beginning" (Alder) - 1:18
2002 CD Bonus Tracks
- "The Snake" (Pink Fairies) - 3:58
- "Do It" (Single version) (Pink Fairies) - 3:04
- "War Girl" (Alternate extended mix) (Alder) - 4:34
- "Uncle Harry's Last Freak-Out" (First version) (Alder) - 12:24
- Produced by Pink Fairies & Neil Slaven
- Recorded & Engineered by Andy Hendriksen & Gary Lyons
- Pennie Smith, Tony Vesely - sleeve design