New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company
|Headquarters||West Trenton, New Jersey, United States|
|Bernard M. Flynn President and CEO
Robert H. Zetterstrom Executive Vice President & General Counsel
Mitchell A. Livingston Executive Vice President and Corporate Counsel
Number of employees
New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company or NJM, headquartered in the West Trenton section of Ewing Township, Mercer County, New Jersey, United States, offers personal auto, commercial auto, workers' compensation, homeowners, and umbrella insurance. The company was formed in 1913 by a group of factory owners seeking workers' compensation coverage. NJM has grown to provide insurance to more than 800,000 policyholders living in New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania. NJM has been partnered with the New Jersey Business and Industry Association, or NJBIA, since the day it first started writing insurance policies. Those seeking NJM personal insurance must be either currently employed by a member organization of the NJBIA; currently employed by the State of New Jersey; currently employed by a New Jersey county, municipality, or township; currently employed by a New Jersey public school; or currently employed by the federal government, while commercial applicants must be a member of the NJBIA.
NJM, originally known as New Jersey Manufacturers Casualty Insurance Company, formed as a workers’ compensation insurance company during the early 1900s, when industrialization in America was at its peak. The Company grew, expanding to auto insurance soon after being established in 1913.
In 1921, New Jersey Manufacturers Association Fire Insurance Company was established by NJM to cover property loss, commercial auto accidents, private automobiles, as well as homes. This involved NJM in multiple lines of insurance. In 1951, the Company changed its name to New Jersey Manufacturers Indemnity Insurance Company, which combined auto bodily injury and property loss into one.
The Indemnity Insurance Company was combined with the Casualty Insurance Company in 1965 to form today's New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company.
NJM’s main office has been in West Trenton, New Jersey, since 1966. Personal Lines and Commercial Lines Underwriting, General Claims and Medical Services Administration are headquartered there, as are most support services for Company operations. NJM has had offices in North Jersey since the 1950s, and the Company's North Jersey branch has been in Parsippany since 1996. The South Jersey branch opened in Hammonton in 2000, providing customer service, claims, and sales operations for the company.
Lines of business
The Company originally formed to provide workers' compensation insurance. Today, NJM is the largest writer of workers’ compensation in New Jersey. 
NJM is also among the largest personal auto insurers in New Jersey covering more than 815,000 private passenger autos insured in the Garden State and another 20,000 in Pennsylvania. NJM partners with American Modern Insurance Group to offer coverage for motorcycles, ATVs, boats and collector cars. 
NJM also provides homeowners, umbrella and commercial auto insurance.
The Company owns three insurance subsidiaries. The oldest subsidiary is New Jersey Re-Insurance Company (NJRe), which started writing policies in 1978 and currently provides workers' compensation, personal auto, and homeowners coverages, as well as umbrella insurance.
The other two insurance subsidiaries were formed in 1999 to write coverage in the assigned risk markets – New Jersey Casualty Insurance Company for workers’ compensation and New Jersey Indemnity Insurance Company for personal auto.
Financial strength and service ratings
- NJM performed well in the J.D. Power 2015 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study. Despite its high score, NJM was not included in the rankings due to it being a membership-based company. 
- A.M. Best Company financial strength rating: A+ (Superior rating). Only 9.2% of rated insurance carriers have achieved this ranking.
- NJM has consistently received favorable ratings from A.M. Best since it was first recognized by the company in 1922. NJM's Best rating has been “A” or better in each and every year except for a "C" rating in 1933.
- NJM generated zero valid complaints in 2006, 2010, 2012, and 2013, according to the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance. NJM has consistently scored some of the lowest complaint ratios among other major insurers since the Department started issuing the Auto Insurance Consumer Report in 1987. In the most recent report, covering 2015, NJM had the best score of all carriers insuring at least 100,000 autos.
- NJM was listed among the best for service among auto insurers in the September 2015 edition of a leading consumer magazine.
- "New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company - NJM History". Njm.com. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "NJM". J.D. Power. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "NJM Insurance: Celebrating a Century of Service" (PDF). Njbia.org. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "NJM Insurance sends $55 million back to policyholders with the help of Carli Lloyd". Trentonian.com. 2015-11-20. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- Martin Griff (2014-12-05). "PHOTOS: NJM Insurance completes mailing of 425,000 auto dividend checks". NJ.com. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "NJM Insurance Hires Marrero as Consumer Safety Administrator". Insurancejournal.com. 2016-03-23. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "NJM to Offer Motorcycle, ATV Coverage in New Jersey". Insurancejournal.com. 2016-05-16. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company - About Us". Njm.com. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "J.D. Power releases new auto claims satisfaction study". PropertyCasualty360.com. 2015-10-26. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- 2015 Best’s Insurance Reports – Property/Casualty.
- Gorskt, Dennts. "Standing the Test of Time," Best's Review, July 2010.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on November 14, 2014. Retrieved September 23, 2015.
- "2015 Auto Insurance Consumer Information Report" (PDF). State.nj.us. Retrieved 2016-06-26.