NJM Insurance Group
|Headquarters||West Trenton, New Jersey, United States|
|Mitchell A. Livingston President & Chief Executive Officer |
Carol L. Voorhees Senior Vice President & Chief Information Officer
Number of employees
NJM Insurance Group, headquartered in the West Trenton section of Ewing Township, Mercer County, New Jersey, United States, offers personal auto, commercial auto, workers' compensation, homeowners, condo, renters, and umbrella insurance. It serves markets in Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.
NJM Insurance Group, originally known as New Jersey Manufacturers Casualty Insurance Company, formed as a workers’ compensation insurance company in 1913, shortly after New Jersey signed the Workmen’s Compensation Act. The Company’s original goal was to provide cost-effective, safety-conscious, and financially secure insurance to New Jersey business owners. By 1922, the Company was the largest provider of workers’ compensation insurance in New Jersey.
In 1921, NJM began providing insurance for property loss, commercial auto accidents, private automobiles, and homes.
NJM’s main office has been in West Trenton, New Jersey, since 1966. Personal Lines and Commercial Lines Underwriting, General Claims and Medical Services Administration are headquartered there, as are most support services for Company operations. NJM has had additional offices in Northern New Jersey since the 1950s, and the Company's Northern New Jersey branch has been in Parsippany since 1996. The Southern New Jersey branch opened in Hammonton in 2000.
In 2018, NJM expanded its services to Pennsylvania residents.
Products and Services
NJM provides auto, homeowners, renters, condo, and umbrella insurance to residents of New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. NJM partners with American Modern Insurance Group to offer coverage for motorcycles, ATVs, boats, and collector cars.
NJM originally formed to provide workers' compensation insurance to businesses in New Jersey. Today, it writes workers’ compensation coverage in Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania. The Company has also provided New Jersey businesses with commercial auto insurance and commercial general liability insurance (CGL).
Consumer Safety and Corporate Giving
NJM runs several Teen Driver Safety Programs, which bring safety programming and education to New Jersey schools. In 2013, NJM commemorated its centennial with a “DNT TXT N DRV” (Don’t Text and Drive) campaign. The company donated $50,000 to charity at the conclusion of the campaign, which marked the start of NJM’s Teen Driver Safety Programs. Since 2017, NJM has challenged New Jersey high schoolers to pledge to “Just Drive.” In 2018, “Just Drive” expanded into Pennsylvania in the form of a PSA contest for high school students.
Partnerships and Sponsorships
Choose New Jersey
NJM is an ambassador of Choose New Jersey, which supports economic development in New Jersey.
NJM supports Greater Trenton, which promotes economic development in New Jersey’s capital city. NJM’s Vice President of Public Affairs, Mike Van Wagner, participates on Greater Trenton’s Board of Directors.
NJM partners with the Trenton Thunder, the Double-A affiliate of the New York Yankees, for “Safe at Home.” Since 2012, this partnership has resulted in donations of more than $88,700 to Trenton-area organizations.
Since 2018, NJM has partnered with the Philadelphia 76ers to promote teen driving safety in Pennsylvania. In 2018 and 2019, the Sixers and NJM hosted a National Teen Driver Safety Week kick-off event at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia. The Sixers also help to promote the “Just Drive” campaign in Pennsylvania.
New Jersey State Golf Association
NJM is a Corporate Partner of the New Jersey State Golf Association (NJSGA) and the presenting sponsor of its Senior Amateur Championship.
Financial Strength and Recognition
- AM Best Company financial strength rating: A+ (Superior rating), and Financial Size Category: XV. NJM's Best rating has been “A” or better in each and every year except for a "C" rating in 1933.
- NJM generated zero valid complaints in 2010, 2012, and 2013, according to the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance. NJM regularly receives among the lowest complaint ratios of all carriers insuring at least 100,000 vehicles in New Jersey.
- NJM was the first company to receive J.D. Power’s Personal Auto Claims Certification in 2018. In 2019, J.D. Power ranked NJM Insurance Company among the best for overall satisfaction in its U.S. Auto Insurance Study.
- In 2019, Forbes included NJM on its list of America’s Best Employers by State and Best Midsize Employers.
- Clearsurance awarded NJM the #1 ranking for consumer’s choice among car insurance companies in 2018 and the #2 ranking in 2019.
- In 2016, NJM was the New Jersey State Governor’s Jefferson Award Honoree for its corporate giving program.
- The National Safety Council awarded NJM with the Teen Driver Safety Leadership Award in 2016, recognizing the Teen Driver Safety Program for its demonstrated results in changing behaviors and attitudes in young drivers and reducing teen crashes, injuries, and deaths.
- In 2019, PR Daily awarded NJM the Corporate Social Responsibility Award for Public Health or Safety Initiative for the Teen Driver Safety Program.
- "About NJM".
- "NJM: A Garden State Legacy". Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- Times, The (2013-03-31). "New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company in Ewing celebrates its centennial". nj. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "NJM Insurance - NJM History". Njm.com. Retrieved 2016-06-26. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "World Cup star Carli Lloyd is newest face of NJM Insurance". NJ.com. Retrieved 2018-08-23.
- "NJ insurer stretches into Pa. market" (PDF).
- Perry, Jessica (2018-01-11). "NJ-based insurance carrier expands into Pa". NJBIZ. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "NJM - NJM Expands Partnership to Offer Enhanced Collector Car Insurance". NJM. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "NJM Hires Callahan to Expand Teen Driver Safety Program in Pennsylvania". Insurance Journal. 2018-10-24. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "For Safety's Sake, DNT TXT N DRV". www.mydigitalpublication.com. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "NJM donates $50,000 to charity from DNT TXT initiative". NJTV News. 2014-02-27. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- Editor, S. N. J. (2019-05-07). "NJM Insurance Group Awards $2,500 to Atlantic County Institute of Technology". SNJ Today. Retrieved 2020-01-15.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- "Great Valley High Wins $15K For Distracted Driving PSA". Malvern, PA Patch. 2019-04-09. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "ELFNJ: National Teen Driving Safety Leadership Award Presented to NJM". New Jersey School Boards Association. 2016-12-09. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "NJM - Community". NJM. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "Board & Supporters". Choose New Jersey, Inc. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "Board of Directors". Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "NJM and the Trenton Thunder - The Capital City's All-Star Team". MiLB.com. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "NJM to Donate $50 to Trenton Area Soup Kitchen (TASK) for Every Trenton Thunder Run Scored - Trenton Area Soup Kitchen". www.trentonsoupkitchen.org. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "Sixers take part in National Teen Driver Safety Week". 6abc Philadelphia. 2019-10-22. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "NJM partnering with Sixers to bring 'Share the Keys' program to Pa". ROI-NJ. 2018-10-23. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "Philadelphia Union Announce New Partnership with NJM Insurance Group". OurSports Central. 2019-06-05. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "NJM Is New Corporate Sponsor of the N.J. State Golf Association". TAPinto. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "Company Profile - Best's Credit Rating Center". ratings.ambest.com. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- Gorskt, Dennts. "Standing the Test of Time," Best's Review, July 2010.
- (PDF). 2011-05-24 https://web.archive.org/web/20110524013327/http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division_consumers/pdf/complaintranking10.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-05-24. Retrieved 2020-01-15. Missing or empty
- (PDF). 2013-09-28 https://web.archive.org/web/20130928001816/http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division_consumers/pdf/complaintranking12.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-09-28. Retrieved 2020-01-15. Missing or empty
- (PDF). 2014-11-14 https://web.archive.org/web/20141114044007/http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division_consumers/pdf/autoconsumerrpt13.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-11-14. Retrieved 2020-01-15. Missing or empty
- "NJDOBI Consumer Information - Automobile Insurance". www.state.nj.us. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "J.D. Power Introduces Insurance Claims Certification Program | J.D. POWER". www.jdpower.com. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "2019 U.S. Auto Insurance Study: 10116ENG | J.D. POWER". www.jdpower.com. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "America's Best Employers By State". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "America's Best Midsize Employers". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- NJ.com, Cristina Rojas | For (2016-10-15). "NJM wins national award for improving teen driver safety". nj. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "Corporate Social Responsibility Awards 2019 Winners - PR Daily". PR Daily. Retrieved 2020-01-15.