New Orleans Wanderers
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2006) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The New Orleans Wanderers was the name under which Lil Hardin recorded with members of Louis Armstrong's Hot Five on a 1926 session for Columbia Records. Armstrong himself was unable to appear since he was under contract to Okeh, although he collaborated with Hardin on three of the four songs. His place was taken by George Mitchell. Four further songs were released by the same musicians under the name New Orleans Bootblacks.
The members of the Hot Five were Lil Hardin on piano, Kid Ory on trombone, Johnny St. Cyr on banjo and Johnny Dodds on clarinet. George Mitchell played the cornet. Additionally, an alto sax was included—probably "Stump" (or "Stomp") Evans. The recording took place in Chicago.
The tunes (all written by Louis Armstrong) were:
As New Orleans Wanderers (recorded Chicago, July 13, 1926):
- "Gate Mouth" (Columbia 698-D)
- "Too Tight" (Columbia 735-D)
- "Perdido Street Blues" (Columbia 698-D)
- "Papa Dip" (Columbia 735-D)
As New Orleans Bootblacks (recorded Chicago, July 14, 1926):
- "I Can't Say" (Columbia 14465-D)
- "Mixed Salad" (Columbia 14465-D)
- "Mad Dog" (Columbia 14337-D)
- "Flat Foot" (Columbia 14337-D)
The series has been described as "some of the best ensemble jazz ever recorded". Unfortunately, none of the many 78 reissues used the original masters, so the only way to get these 8 sides master pressed is by finding the original Columbia 78's.
- "Gatemouth" (Louis Armstrong) b/w "Perdido Street Blues" (Lillian Armstrong), Columbia Swing Music Series (UK) D.B. 2860
- "Too Tight" (Louis Armstrong) b/w "Papa Dip" (Louis Armstrong), Columbia Swing Music Series (UK) D.B. 2920
- Epic Jazz Series LN 24269 LP Cover
- Kevin Byrne, radio programme
- Columbia Swing Music Series 78 rpm D.B. 2860 (W 142426)
- Columbia Swing Music Series 78 rpm D.B. 2920 (W 142428/W 142429)
|This article on a United States jazz band is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|