Next Hop Resolution Protocol
The Next Hop Resolution Protocol (NHRP) is an extension of the ATM ARP routing mechanism that is sometimes used to improve the efficiency of routing computer network traffic over Non-Broadcast, Multiple Access (NBMA) Networks. It is defined in IETF RFC 2332, and further described in RFC 2333. It can be used by a sender to determine a route with the fewest hops to a receiver. The protocol differs from ARP-type protocols in that it allows routing optimization across multiple IP subnets. NHRP is implemented by means of next-hop servers across IP subnets. The NHRP forms a part of the Multiprotocol Encapsulation over ATM (MPOA) protocol as described in RFC 2684. It also plays a role in Cisco's Dynamic Multipoint Virtual Private Network. A limitation of NHRP is its inability to improve multicast protocols.
From RFC 2332: "[NHRP] allows a source station (a host or router), wishing to communicate over [an NBMA] subnetwork, to determine the internetworking layer addresses and NBMA addresses of suitable 'NBMA next hops' toward a destination station."
- White, P.P. (April 1998). "ATM switching and IP routing integration: the next stage in Internet evolution?" (PDF). IEEE Communications Magazine. 36 (4): 79–83. doi:10.1109/35.667418. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "NHRP". Cisco. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- B., Cole; J., Luciani; N., Doraswamy; D., Piscitello; D., Katz. "NBMA Next Hop Resolution Protocol (NHRP)". tools.ietf.org. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- Cansever, Derya H. "NHRP Protocol Applicability Statement". tools.ietf.org. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- Rouse, Margaret. "What is Next Hop Resolution Protocol (NHRP)? - Definition from WhatIs.com". SearchNetworking. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- Luciani, James V. (1 January 1997). "Next-hop resolution protocol". SPIE Proceedings. 3233: 161–165. doi:10.1117/12.290456. S2CID 21461973.
- Ahmad, Khalid (2 April 2004). Sourcebook of ATM and IP Internetworking. John Wiley & Sons. p. 360. ISBN 9780471660941. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- Dan, Grossman; Juha, Heinanen. "Multiprotocol Encapsulation over ATM Adaptation Layer 5". tools.ietf.org.
- Newman, P.; Lyon, T.; Minshall, G. (1 March 1996). "Flow labelled IP: a connectionless approach to ATM". Proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM '96. Fifteenth Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer Societies. Networking the Next Generation. 3: 1251–1260 vol.3. doi:10.1109/INFCOM.1996.493071. ISBN 0-8186-7293-5. S2CID 5482472. Retrieved 18 June 2016.