Như Quỳnh (actress)
Nhu Quynh actor graduated in 1971 from the Vietnam Theatre School, today the University of Theatre and Film, Hanoi (SKDA). Two years later, she acted as one of the two female leads in her first film, Bài ca ra trận (1973). Then with her role as the girl Nết in Đến hẹn lại lên (1974), Như Quỳnh won the Best Actress Award at the 3rd Vietnam Film Festival in 1975. Her roles in a series of French co-productions, Indochine (1992), Cyclo (1995) and Vertical Ray of the Sun (2000) introduced her to a foreign audience. In Cyclo Như Quỳnh plays the crime boss who extorts and entraps the young cyclo-taxi driver. In Vertical Ray of Light she plays the oldest of the three Hanoi sisters.
She is also the owner of Cafe Quynh in Hanoi's Bat Dan Street.
- 1973 Bài ca ra trận (vi) "March to the Front"
- 1974 Đến hẹn lại lên (vi), shown in the Soviet Union as "We will meet again"
- 1977 Mối tình đầu (vi), "First Love" as leading role Diễm Hương
- 1992 Indochine, as woman
- 1995 Cyclo dir. Trần Anh Hùng
- 2000 The Vertical Ray of the Sun, dir. Trần Anh Hùng
- 2005 Bride of Silence,
- 2006 Story of Pao, as old mother
- 2006 The White Silk Dress, as aunty Phán
- 2007 Saigon Eclipse,
- 2007 Golden Bride, South Korean co-production
- 2011 Lời nguyền huyết ngải' "Blood Curse"
- NSND Như Quỳnh: Yên tâm với những gì đang có 7 June 2011 Interview - "People's Artist Nhu Quynh: Peace of mind with what is there" (in Vietnamese)
- Asian Art News Volume 14 2004 Page 97 "As the actress Nhu Quynh writes in her poem: "Life always has meanings, even in its meaningless moments, days or months. In agonies, life becomes even more meaningful. When dealing with such subjects as war, loss, and memory, there is frequently a tendency to preach, to take the moral high ground; often to the detriment of the art itself." ."
- Sylvie Blum-Reid East-West Encounters: Franco-Asian Cinema and Literature -2003 Page 78 "The Boss of the gang, a woman, played by Nguyen Nhu Quynh (who appeared earlier in Lam Le's feature film) runs a cyclo company and commissions the young Cyclo (Le Van Loc) into a circuit of terror and extortion."
- Chris Barsanti Filmology: A Movie-a-Day Guide to the Movies You Need to Know 2010 "With nobody to look out for him, Cyclo is ensnared by a crime boss known as the Madam (Nhu Quynh Nguyen), who makes him work with her right-hand man, the Poet (Tony Leung)."
- Kenneth Turan Never Coming to a Theater Near You 2005 Page 250 "Lien works in a cafe run by their eldest sister, Suong (Nguyen Nhu Quynh), who is married to Quoc (Chu Ngoc Hung), ..."
- Kim Fay To Asia with Love: A Connoisseurs' Guide to Cambodia, Laos, 2004 "Cafe Quynh 46B Bat Dan Street, Old Quarter, Hanoi. An interesting side note: The cafe is owned by Nhu Quynh, the beautiful actress from Cyclo and Vertical Ray of the Sun"