Nicholas Cunliffe-Lister, 3rd Earl of Swinton
The younger grandson of the first Earl, he inherited the title Earl of Swinton on the death of his older brother, the 2nd Earl, on 26 March 2006. Their father, Major Hon. John Yarburgh Cunliffe-Lister, had been killed in action in 1943.
Lord Swinton's first wife was the Hon. Elizabeth Susan Whitelaw who was appointed Lord Lieutenant of the East Riding of Yorkshire in July 2005., the eldest daughter of the 1st Viscount Whitelaw, whom he married in 1966.
He has two sons and one daughter by his first wife:
- Lady Lorna Mary Cunliffe-Lister (b. 1968) married 2001 to William Parker.
- Mark William Philip Cunliffe-Lister, styled Lord Masham (born 15 September 1970), who has been married since 17 June 2000 to Felicity C. Shadbolt. The couple have bought back and restored Swinton Park., They have two sons and one daughter.
- Hon. Simon Charles Cunliffe-Lister (born 1977), now of Burton Agnes Hall
The heir apparent to the earldom is the elder son the Honourable Mark William Philip Cunliffe-Lister, styled Lord Masham (born 1970).
- "Lord-Lieutenant of the East Riding of Yorkshire (sic)". 10 Downing Street website. 12 May 2009. Retrieved 13 May 2009.
- Going Out Today website
- Kay, Richard (28 February 2012). "Countess of Swinton's shocking discovery". Daily Mail. London.
- 2nd Earl of Swinton, DL (1937-2006) – Google Peerage News Group
- Announcement of his succession at the House of Lords
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|Earl of Swinton
|This biography of an earl in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|