Tepesch with the Texas Rangers in 2014 spring training
|Toronto Blue Jays – No. 48|
October 12, 1988 |
Kansas City, Missouri
|April 9, 2013, for the Texas Rangers|
(through August 9, 2017)
|Earned run average||4.79|
Nicholas James "Nick" Tepesch (born October 12, 1988) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Toronto Blue Jays of Major League Baseball. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Texas Rangers, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Minnesota Twins.
Tepesch was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 28th round of the 2007 Major League Baseball draft out of the Blue Springs High School in Blue Springs, Missouri but he did not sign and attended the University of Missouri, where he played college baseball for the Missouri Tigers baseball team. He was then drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 14th round of the 2010 Major League Baseball draft and signed for $400,000.
Invited to spring training in 2013, Tepesch won the Rangers fifth starter job. On April 9, Tepesch went 7 1⁄3 innings and gave up four hits, three walks, one run, and struck out five while getting the win in his major league debut against the Tampa Bay Rays.
He was non-tendered at the end of the 2015 season, and had previously rejected a minor league deal. However, on January 27, 2016, Tepesch re-signed with the Rangers on a minor league contract that included an invitation to spring training. On June 5, 2016, Tepesch asked and was granted his release from the Rangers.
Los Angeles Dodgers
Tepesch signed a minor league contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers on June 6, 2016. After three starts for the AAA Oklahoma City Dodgers, his contract was purchased by the major league team and he was added to the roster and called up to make a start against the Pittsburgh Pirates on June 24. He allowed five runs on seven hits in four innings to take the loss and was designated for assignment after the game.
Kansas City Royals
On July 18, 2016, Tepesch was once again claimed off waivers, this time by the Royals.
Toronto Blue Jays
On July 23, 2017, Tepesch was traded to the Toronto Blue Jays for cash considerations. He was called up from the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons on August 9 for a start against the New York Yankees where he took the loss.
- Nestor, Matt (July 22, 2011). "Tepesch finds groove in minors". Columbia Daily Tribune. Retrieved January 28, 2016.
- "Former Blue Springs pitcher Tepesch wins debut with Rangers". Kansas City Star. April 10, 2013. Retrieved January 28, 2016.
- Emrich, Robert (May 19, 2012). "Pelicans' Tepesch, Reyes hurl no-no". MILB.com. Retrieved January 28, 2016.
- Althaus, Bill (May 30, 2012). "Tepesch keeps eye on big-league goal while enjoying stay in Myrtle Beach". The Examiner. Retrieved January 28, 2016.
- Sullivan, T. R. (2014). "Eyeing rotation, Tepesch gets jump-start on a changeup". MLB.com. Retrieved January 28, 2016.
- Sullivan, T.R. (2013). "Tepesch continues long-shot pitch for rotation". MLB.com. Retrieved January 28, 2016.
- "Nick Tepesch comes up big in MLB debut to lift Rangers". ESPN.com. Associated Press. April 10, 2013.
- "Rangers re-sign RHP Nick Tepesch to minor league deal". ESPN.com. Associated Press. Retrieved January 28, 2016.
- "Rangers re-sign Nick Tepesch". Dallas Morning News. Retrieved January 27, 2016.
- Sullivan, T.R. (January 27, 2016). "Rangers re-sign Tepesch to Minor League deal". MLB.com. Retrieved January 28, 2016.
- Weisman, Jon (June 25, 2016). "Chris Taylor promoted, Nick Tepesch designated". Retrieved June 25, 2016.
- Miller, Phil (June 7, 2017). "Twins add reliever Chris Heston, release Nick Tepesch". Star Tribune. Retrieved June 7, 2017.
- "Blue Jays' Nick Tepesch: Dealt to Toronto". cbssports.com. July 23, 2017. Retrieved July 24, 2017.