A bibliography of his work was published to mark his 80th birthday in 2012. He was elected a Fellow of the British Academy in 1998, and is also a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London; in 2002, he was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire.
- Barker, Nicolas (1972). Stanley Morison. London: Macmillan.
- Barker, Nicolas (1978). Bibliotheca Lindesiana: the Lives and Collections of Alexander William, 25th Earl of Crawford and 8th Earl of Balcarres, and James Ludovic, 26th Earl of Crawford and 9th Earl of Balcarres. London: for Presentation to the Roxburghe Club, and published by Bernard Quaritch
- Barker, Nicolas (1987). The Butterfly Books. An Enquiry into the Nature of Certain Twentieth Century Pamphlets. London: Bertram Rota.
- Barker, Nicolas (1988). Two East Anglian Picture Books.
- Barker, Nicolas (1989) Treasures of the British Library; compiled by Nicolas Barker and the curatorial staff of the British Library. New York: Harry N. Abrams ISBN 0-8109-1653-3
- Barker, Nicolas (2000). The Great Book of Thomas Trevilian.
- Barker, Nicolas (2003). Form and Meaning in the History of the Book. Selected Essays by Nicolas Barker. London: British Library.
- John Carter; Nicolas Barker (2004). ABC for Book Collectors (8th ed.). ISBN 1584561122.
- Barker, Nicolas (2020). Reginald Heber: A Letter from India.
- "Nicolas Barker at Wells College". Wells Book Arts Center. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- "Author: Nicolas Barker". Carcanet. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- "Trustees". The Type Archive. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- Edwards, A. S. G. (2013). Nicolas Barker at Eighty: a list of his publications to mark his 80th birthday in 2012. New Castle: Oak Knoll. ISBN 9781584563235. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- "Barker, Nicolas John", Who's Who (online edition, Oxford University Press, December 2017). Retrieved 18 March 2018.
- "Mr Nicolas Barker", British Academy. Retrieved 18 March 2018.