This biography of a living person relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Nicole Skeltys|
|Also known as||Artificial|
|Origin||Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia|
|Occupation(s)||musician, composer, singer, presenter, writer|
|Instruments||Synthesizer, electronics, laptop, Softsynth, drum machine, computer, sampler, voice|
|Labels||Sony Music Entertainment, Shock Records, Festival Mushroom Records, Creative Vibes, Psy-Harmonics, Inertia, Uh Oh Music, Nephilim, Mana, MUK|
|Associated acts||B(if)tek, Artificial, Dust, Jilted Brides, The Disenchanted, Guilty Pleasures, Area 51|
Nicole Skeltys is an Australian composer, writer and presenter. From 1993 to 2003 she was part of B(if)tek, an Australian electronica and dance act. Skeltys also released electronic music under the name Artificial during this period and was a member of Clan Analogue. Since 2002 she has been the writer for the webcomic Pigeon Coup with comic artist Aaron Doty (an episode of which appeared in Tango Seven). With Byron Scullin, she co-composed the soundtrack for the first season of Lonely Planet TV series Lonely Planet Six Degrees. In 2004, Skeltys expanded her musical repertoire beyond pure electronica . She established a Melbourne-based band Dust, consisting of vocals, keyboards, guitar, bass and drums, and which has been described as a "mixture of country twang, melancholy folk and urban scrawl, all with psychedelic overtones". In late 2007, she established a psychedelic folk duo called The Jilted Brides with American filmmaker and photographer Tanya Andrea Stadelmann, and in 2008 and 2009 took up a number of artist residencies across the United States. In 2009 Skeltys became an artist in residence at Pittsburgh Filmmakers. Nicole produced a short music mockumentary, which won a platinum REMI award for group music video production in the 2012 Houston Worldfest international film festival.
In 2011 Skeltys and Byron Scullin produced the soundtrack to the documentary film A Life Exposed. In 2013 Skeltys released the compilation album Citizens United, followed by Deal With Your Disenchantment in 2018. About the latter album, she has been quoted as saying: "I wanted to reimagine myself looking at the world through Bob Dylan's eyes in the '60s/early '70s – only I'm a 21st-century woman, and the political and social issues are the ones we are dealing with now." After release of Deal with your Disenchantment, Skeltys performed at venues in London, the Northcote Social Club and the Ealing Blues Festival.
- "Artificial | Clan Analogue".
- "Pigeon Coup". www.vollutin.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 4 November 2013. Retrieved 3 November 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Six Degrees full cast". www.imdb.com.
- "About". Nicole Skeltys.
- "Nicole Skeltys | Radio Black Forest". radioblackforest.com.
- "Terrascope Online Reviews for July 2007". www.terrascope.co.uk.
- Sheridan, Patricia. "I Picked Pittsburgh: The Jilted Brides, up from Down Under". post-gazette.com. Retrieved 24 October 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Rebel Spirit, Pt 1". abc.net.au. 28 May 2010.
- Nicole Skeltys; Lucy Foley (2010). "Skeltys and Foley: The Journey of the Band of Discovery". vimeo.com. Retrieved 2 November 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "HIFF Platinum REMI Award". imdb.com.
- "A Life Exposed | Filmmakers". alifeexposed.com. Retrieved 24 October 2020.
- "Citizens United". bandcamp.com. Retrieved 24 October 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Deal With Your Disenchantment". bandcamp.com. Retrieved 24 October 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Rose, Anna (30 January 2019). "Nicole Skeltys & The Disenchanted try to look at the world through Bob Dylan's eyes". beat.com.au. Retrieved 24 October 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Past Events". nicoleskeltys.com. Retrieved 24 October 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Ealing Blues Festival – Day 1". ealingclub.com. Retrieved 24 October 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)